Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3
Set-up for a 15# plane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am new to electrics and looking to learn! I've read some good stuff over on rcgroups and think I have the very basics sort of figured out.
Im looking to power a 8' span Otter. It should weigh about 15 lbs ready to fly. I do not want it to be powered like a 3D flyer, but a little extra never hurt!
I'm debating on buying good stuff, or hobbyking brand stuff. For the little i'll probably fly this model i'm leaning toward the Turnigy stuff.
I figured between 50-100 watts per pound is about right for a scale flying high winged floater like the otter, so average it to 75. So I should look to make about 1000-1200 watts to fly this plane nicely.
I figure this motor
or one with a different Kv rating so suit the rest of the set-up. I've found a 4 blade prop with on the ground adjustable pitch. I can go with a 15'' or 16-18'' depending on the hub.
Also, I'd like to keep the batteries small so I do not need a new charging system. maybe this is a silly idea, but would using 3s or 4s in series to get a 8 or 9s system be a bad idea?
(I have the turnigy 420 and accucell 6 for chargers)
Also, i think using a separate battery for the Rx would be a safe idea for this model as the weight penalty is no big deal and being new to electrics, i'm sure i'll fly it till the batteries are dead at least once. No need to loose the rx to a stupid mistake like that?? (I'm still on 72mhz so not as big of a worry for rx voltage like the 2.4 systems) Servos will all be analog also, but i'll feel safer with a rx pack.
I figure an 8s set-up, 5000mah 20c, on the above motor with an 80amp esc and the 15'' prop.
Am I pointing in the right direction?!!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4
Re: Set-up for a 15# plane

Sounds to me like your on the right track. My only thought would be to go with a somewhat bigger motor to get a power reserve in case you need to do something "non-scale" someday to save the plane from an unforeseen incident. I would go with 1500 - 1800 Watts. Your 8 cell set up with an 80 Amp ESC could easily generate that much power (say 32 V x 80A = 2560W) if needed.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Douglas NBartley

Elec Re: Set-up for a 15# plane

Hi Thunder Chicken: You really don't need 8-9S system for this plane. A 6S would fly it fine. At 15lbs on an 8ft wingspan, you are not going to have a glider. Keep the power at 100 watts/ lb or close and you'll be happy. I fly my 15lb Turbo Beaver on a single 6S/5000/ 30C. I'm running a Scorpion 4025-12 (440Kv) with a 15/8/3 blade prop for 1420 watts (94w/lb).
A Turnigy 5065-400 would generate about the same power with a 16/8/ 4 blade prop. I'd use a 100A ESC like the 6S Kforce with its programmer. Flightmax Zippy 30C/ 5000/ 6S for batteries.
I would definately run a separate Bec, HK has two I recommend, the Megabec8 and the Turnigy 8-15A. The Megabec runs on 2S, while the T8-15 can use 2/3S. I use a 1500mah/2S/15C on most planes. On my largest I use and 1800 mah/15c/2S. Light and easy to hookup, both have warning lights for LV.
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: fred f

Total Props: 2

As above 6s will work fine, You might hold off on a power system choice. Build the plane then pick power system components to balance it. The 50 series cans from HK can produce very high power levels and for me have been very dependable. I have only ran up to 100 AMP controlers so cannot comment on the dependability of the Turnigy 100+ amp units.
For 6s look @ a 500KV unit
1THEPALMER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Thanks for the advise everyone.
I've ordered some stuff from HK as I need the motor before I can build the nose section for the Otter. Once it arrives and I can test it on the bench, i'll post an update!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.