RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 11-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: MR
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
electric basics

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I want to put a electric motor on a glider that weighs 4 lbs. I used to have a O.S. 15 glow engine on it with a pod on top of the wing. What I need to know what are the basis considering there is so many choices out there, and keep it cheap.
Example type of motor, speed controller, battery, prop and charger for Lipos. Hobby king has so many choices what is good and what is bad. I do have A Triton charger I use for charging Nicads, is there any accessories I need for charging lipos
lee foster
MRLEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: electric basics

if you're really confused, maybe start with the Turnigy Easy Match.
Fly it, like ya stole it!
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

I was in your position last year around this time and I've learned a lot since then starting with motor specs & battery specs & in the case of Hobby King ESC's I've learned to consider their ratings (re amps) to be exagerated. I converted 2 regular gliders to electric with the motor in the nose & I built a power pod for another. In all 3 cases I started with too little power (for what I want) but each flew as built. Too little power resulted in (at full throttle) a near vertical climb that the motor couldn't sustain, so an almost stall followed by another climb etc. Reducing the power & adding down elevator got them up there but not the way I wanted, so I've added more power to the 2 that have the motors in the nose. I had just enough room, but things are tight. So far I've only had one back into the air but it climbs very nicely now BUT it pulls a lot of amperage so I've had to go bigger on the ESC's & battery. Using a Turnigy G25 with a 12 X 8 folding prop the motor pulls 58 amps (bench test, not in the air) which far exceeds what I expected so I've added an 80 amp Plush ESC to be safe AND bought a battery capable of putting out 50 Amps continous which might be a bit of overkill but I'd rather fly than fix.
For the glider with the power pod I wish I'd added some downthrust or better yet made the motor mount section on a pivot so I could adjust the downthrust. I may make a new power pod this winter that way plus up the motor a bit too.

What are your expectations? do you simply want the power to get it up there at a nice gentle climb or do you prefer a serious climb rate (I flew competition free flight in my youth so like a fairly vertical climb). If you're happy just to get it up to a decent altitude to soar size your electric similar to the glow engine but if you have the room for a slightly bigger motor (25 vs 15 is usually longer but the same diameter) I'd go that route IF building it into the nose. If you're doing another power pod make it high enough to allow some prop experimentation plus consider making downthrust adjustable.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39

What glider is it for and what are you looking for in performance.

I have two similar power systems. One is for a 2m span hotliner with a really high pitch prop the other is a 3.2m span thermal ship that is propped for thrust rather than speed.

Both planes run the same 80A ESC and run from a 3S 3600 mAh battery.

First plane is a GP Siren hotliner.
Motor is a Turnigy SK 35-48 900 kv motor
Prop is an areonaut cam 13x11

Second plane is a Grifter a big old 3.2M span thermal glider.
Motor again is a Turnigy 35-48 but this time only 790 kv
Prop is a areonaut cam 15x8

The Siren is pushing higher power levels than the Grifter but needs the motor to be on far less of the time.

Neither plane needs full power for a launch. I typically launch at around 30-50% power and then throttle up once the plane gets moving well to keep it from being affected by the torque.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

The All things that Fly guys (http://allthingsthatfly.com/ )had a great podcast on setting up an electric system: http://traffic.libsyn.com/insideheli...tric_Setup.mp3
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.