Anybody flying WITHOUT puffy lipo's ? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #31
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wendell h

Total Props: 3
Re: Anybody flying WITHOUT puffy lipo's ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As a new electric flyer, this is all a big help.
The variations of experience and theories, and anxiety,
reminds me of "the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth"
we went through with the care and feeding of nicads, back in the 70's.
We had tons of trouble with them.
It must be that nicads are better now.
Can we look forward to better lipos ?
east6008 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #32
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39

Modern lipos are pretty well developed. Most people ran into trouble in the early days because they failed to balance charge the packs.

It takes very little to take proper care of lipos. Don't over discharge them. Dont store them fully charged.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
RCC Apprentice
I am: Andrew W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 0

Interesting Thread. I fly a parkzone wildcat and charge with the stock charger. I land about 2 min before lvc. Should I just leave em like that for storage or what? The charger has nothing except a light that blinks for charging and solid for charged. And yes, I know I need to buy a better charger.
mxz1998 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3
Elec Re: Anybody flying WITHOUT puffy lipo's ?

IMO, the first purchase should be a Wattmeter. It is considered standard safe proceedure to store lipos at 3.8 volts in a cool, dry place. You will only Know what the remaining voltage is in your battery by testing it, either with a voltmeter or our std tool, a wattmeter. Turnigy (Hobbyking has a 130A unit for like $25)
And yes, get yourself a better, balancing charger asap! This will go farther to prevent problems than anything else you can do. Check out the I Charger's at Progressive Not esp cheap, but will allow big expansion as you get into electric flight, like parallel charging of multiple batteries ( up to 6). FWIW flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bobby
Radio of choice:
JR11x/JRx9503/Futaba 8 UHPS
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Beside the fact that you really need a good (or at least reasonable) charger if you want to continue with electric power. Charging immediately after a flight and storing for 7 days will not cause this issue this will only effect the life of the batteries and how much charge they can hold.
As long as you did not over discharge or over heated the batteries you should not have puffed batteries and you should talk to Great Hobbies and return them.
I had two of these (Great Hobbies brand) a while ago that had puffed and I used a Thunder Power Charger, monitored with a Wattmeter and measured all the possible parameters and eventually returned the batteries and got a refund.
Do you have other batteries that are used in this plane which did not Puff?
If you can not return the batteries and they are only slightly puffed (mushy feel) you can put them in the freezer and this will shrink them a bit but again only if this is not a sever problem.
I did see quite a few guys flying with slightly puffed batteries but this is really not the safest way to go. The problem is that the chemical reaction inside the Lipo generated gas and since the pack is sealed there is little that you can do beside puncturing the pack and re-sealing which I would not suggest if you are not 100% sure you know what you are doing.
bobmic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #36
RCC Apprentice
I am: Andrew W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 0

Well I checked my batteries after a flight. One had the cells at 3.79 each and the other at 3.80 so I guess they are just right for storage after a flight.(I land a couple minutes before LVC)
mxz1998 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.