General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Qamar H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Inverted, Sideways Engines ???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi there,

Can anyone suggest why some of the planes have engines installed as inverted or sideways ? What good can it bring in doing so ? If it is only for style-sake then can I reinstall them upright ? Not have much experience about them but I find them hard to start. Any tips about starting em ?

RC-PLAYER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
JR 12X / Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: +20

Total Props: 5
Re: Inverted, Sideways Engines ???

Normally the orientation of the motor is partially dictated by the airframe and cowl design as well as looks. A vertical or side mount install presents the least issues in regards to fuel siphoning and general engine tuning. Most warbirds due to minimal cowl cutting require inverted install which looks great but does pose some engine running issues. On my fourstroke inverted installs i used a cline regulator to prevent siphoning and i never had any issues running the engines or worried about the orientation of the fuel tank to the needle valve.
RV-8'ting and loving it!!
**Trout Farm Flyers**
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

They run fine in any orientation with due consideration for proper tank height. Difference being, do you really want a garbage can sized head sticking out of the top of the cowl on a nice scale or semi-scale plane?

Performance orientated disciplines tuck them inside the cowl to reduce drag.

For beginners & most sport flying, leave it upright, more convenient to work with.
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Old School Flyer
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Hanes E.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 10

My old Pattern ship had an inverted mounted 2 stroke, Pumped Webra 61, with pipe, always had to start it inverted. Worked fine after it was running never could start it right side up. Hated flipping over a running airplane.
4 strokes are a little easier to start inverted, but harder starting then upright.
(oils tend to settle on the glow plug, causing the glow plug to drown out)
I hate inverted mounted Nitro engines, own several birds that way, and once they are toast, won't do it again. Sidemount nitro is the way to go. Easier starting, easier to get carb center line with tank location.

Gas.. 2 stroke doesn't have that problem, been a plus to the 2 stroke design.
Old School Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
lead balloon
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Jr 9303

Total Props: 8

If you you don't like the looks of an upside down engine you could just fly your plane inverted a lot.

I mounted my 91 surpass sideways so I could learn knife edge too.
lead balloon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

With a two-cycle glow engine, the orientation of the cylinder should not make any difference in its performance. The only issue people sometimes raise is the possibility that fuel will somehow make its way into the cylinder head and flood the glow plug for starting. This really shouldn't happen if the venturi is facing the ground. The fuel, if it somehow gets to the engine from the tank, should empty on the ground. For example, models built for controlline stunt (in which quick starting is essential) almost always have inverted engines.
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.