What was your very first RC Model? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 13
Re: What was your very first RC Model?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Great guys, keep ur first ones coming in, couple mentioned were also my second stage trainers...

Last edited by Struts1; 12-09-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #22
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2

Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 MK 2 with Webra 40 Speed and 6 channel Futaba Gold Box. Still got the radio and engine. Will not elaborate about the plane. You can figure it out. I was 14-15(19-20 years ago) no instruction or help, and took her up off the street here in town. One oops, then off out of town to a park. Up one more time, the rest is history.... Still flying trainers. Stayed building, but just re-started flying, teaching myself again.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #23
RCC Noob
I am: L I
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

For cars it was probably something from Toys R Us, for planes it was a NexStar Select Trainer
Lakai is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

A used 3 meter 2 channel glider back about 1975. No idea what breed. Tried throwing it off a slope, had a wicked tuck under that full up elevator wouldn't compensate for. Fixed it back back up & traded it for a tunnel hull outboard boat. (named it MissTake)

Designed (I use the term loosely) & built a "looks like" an ultra lite, 7 ft span, weedeater engine about 1984. No one would test fly it for me! Eventually flew it myself after learning to fly.

Built a Gentle Lady in about 1988, flew it successfully in 1990. Added a power pod, built a Cadet Mark II... The addiction continues!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 12-11-2011 at 10:16 AM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #25
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Lashl
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14sg

Total Props: 2

I think mine was a Lanier Transit with a Cannon 4 channel. Or maybe a Falcon 56. Too long ago.
MAAC #7169
ProBro #2348
Lash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3

I learned to fly on a Kadet Senior, 3 channel, with a Royal 40. 18 years later I am on Kadet #7 or 8!! But the original wing still hangs in the shop! Today's Kadet is much refined though, with ailerons, flaps, spoilers bomb bay, banner tow......... and it is still the most relaxing of my fleet to fly, I can go out and have a wonderful evening just doing circuits.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #27
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

Hmm... I don't know what you've got against F/F and C/L - I built & flew about 15 of those between 1962 and 1967 before building my first R/C plane. After that I put modelling aside for university, etc. I should mention it was in Sheffield, England.

Anyway, your question got me thinking what was that first R/C plane? I had a subscription to "Aeromodeller" at the time & I built several models from their "Free Full Size Plans. I had a suspicion it may have been one of those so I started Internet searching for Aeromodeller magazines from about 1966 to 1968. First off I found a link to a whole set of Aeromodeller Annuals & downloaded some of those. Couldn't find anything familiar there so I looked for individual issues from the same period. When I saw the Table of Contents for January 1966, I found there was a full size free plan for a single channel R/C trainer called Mini-Comet. That sounded right but I needed to see a picture to be sure & there were no online copies of the magazine that I could find. Another search led to a July 2011 issue of something called "Sticks & Tissue" where a copy of the plan & a picture were displayed. Based on those I'm 99% sure that was my first R/C plane. The only doubt I have is that I thought it was a bit bigger than the 37 1/2" WS shown on the plan.

I had a 0.15 diesel motor on it. The paint scheme was pretty much as in the picture with clear doped nylon in the white areas and green dope in the dark areas. I built the single channel Tx and Rx from a kit. The Rx was quite "modern" as it used transistors and a PCB. The Tx, on the other hand, used valves and had a battery the size of a brick to power it! That battery limited the amount I got to fly the plane because it was costly & I had limited $s to replace it.

The plane sat in my parents attics through several house moves for about 35 years & I looked at it maybe 10 year ago. It was still in good shape. However, I think when my parents died & my sister took over their house she may have thrown it out. I hope not - it would be fun to retrofit a modern R/C system & fly it again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comet.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	129664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Comet_Plan.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	129665  
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Lessee, 1982 or thereabouts.
Senior Falcon (used), Isotronics 4-channel, and used Enya .60. Very quickly followed by my first Unionville Club Cricket with an OS MAX .45 and upteen other .45-sized models.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #29
Sport Flyer
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kelvin M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: &#8

Total Props: 0

Mid 80s. A Sig Kadet Senior with a Webra 40 Blackhead and a Futaba 6 ch AM conquest radio. Still have the radio hanging in my shop but I sold that Kadet years ago and immediately regretted it, so about 15 yrs ago I built a Seniorita I powered with an OS 40 Surpass. It's still a lovely plane to fly at the end of the day -- I can't wait for next year's funfly season as I've now decked it out with ultimate night lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNL_1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	129680   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNL_2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	129681  
Gravity -- Its the law!!
Sport Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #30
RCC Contributor
I am: MJ
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4

For me it was a Ken Willard Schoolmaster with a Fox .07 in 1967. I was twelve years old!! Single channel radio, rudder only but I upgraded the system to 2 channel. Still rudder only for flight controls but the Fox was an RC version so I added another "brick" servo for throttle control. One blip for right rudder, two blips for left and three blips for a three position throttle. Throttle was a moot point however as the whole assembly was so heavy it was hardly able to maintain flight with the Fox just screaming away!! My father, brother and myself had to jump into the car to chase it on many occasions as the "radio control" part was pretty sketchy back in those days. Many, many fond memories of summer weekends out at the old (older than Fry's corner) RCFCBC field on 168th ave. My RCFCBC member number is 44! As this was in the pre Monokote days covering was heavy silkspan from what I recall and airplane nitrate dope was used to finish it. I still love that smell!! I have been in and out of the hobby three times but I am retired now and having more fun than ever with it!!

Last edited by mjohnson; 12-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
mjohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.