First heli need advice - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #21
Midnight Heli
RCC Contributor
I am: Andre S.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
Quebec Re: First heli need advice

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by rcwannabee View Post
I followed some of RAADs school of helicopter or something like that I found on a different forum it was usefull. You do not want to move around on the floor, just try to get it light on the skids a bit and see what it does and try to counter the movement with stick inputs -- very small ones to get the feel of how it reacts. But really, you won't get the true sense untill you are off the ground. If you stay very low you will get the ground effect, but you are closer to the ground to set it back down. On the other hand, if you get up higher you have more time to react before you hit the ground. I liked to stay low, but I don't think that is the typical advice for learning heli.

Anyway, one thing to understand is that you will crash and you will break stuff before you learn to fly. As they say in this hobby, "it is not a matter of if your going to crash, but when your going to crash".

If you find it is wanting to tip over, try the training gear, it is awesome! Forgot to mention that in the first post...I learned with it and use it whenever I am flying on uneven ground, it has saved my heli many many many times.
beside RADD school you can try this school, all free
You can also get "Getting The Most Out Of Your Blade mSR & 120SR" E-Guide
There is incredible info on this site
As far as training gears, there are some very light gears available and yes no matter wich training gear you use, it adds weight thus less flight time.
As far as taking off. The tail rotor beside kepping the heli straight by blowing air to the right, it actually pushes the whole heli to the left. This left drift is corrected by giving a touch of right cyclic (on a mode 2 transmitter left stick a touch to the right) This drift of the fuselage is called translating tendency. Translating tendency makes it difficult for the novice to lift-off. As the ship gets light on the skids, the tail rotor thrust starts to blow the machine to the left. The novice puts in right cyclic to stop the drift and if to much before the heli breaks ground it will tilt to much to the right and the blade will hit the ground, but when the heli lifts off, there is way too much right cyclic input and the machine darts of the the right. The secret to a clean lift-off is to give just enough right cyclic to prevent it to go to the left without tilting to the right and take out the right cyclic as the ship breaks ground. Makes sense? Clear like mud? Re-read if needed.
Midnight Heli is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #22
RCC Apprentice
I am: marty w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Re: First heli need advice

Thank 4 the info happy holidays
martyisnuts is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Re: First heli need advice

Your best to give a little throttle tap to get it off the ground about 1 foot, otherwise you end up skipping sideways along the floor.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.