General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Stephen S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Battery charging question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Folks

So I just back back into the hobby after a 7 year hiatus. I was able to fly this past summer using a old NiCad Tx pack that somehow was actually still really good and a new 700mah NiCad Rx pack. I only run glow planes and don't use digital servos with my old equipment (receivers are JR R600 and a JR XP642 transmitter), therfore I don't see a need for that lipo stuff.

Now if I want to buy a larger capacity 4 cell NiMh Rx pack will the simple old charger that came with the radio work to charge it or will I have to buy one of those expensive digital chargers?
bone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Battery charging question

You can still use the same charger but it will just take longer. Take the capacity of the battery pack and divide by the output of the charger to get your charge time.

For example, a 2000mah pack charged with a 500ma (0.5a) charger will take 4 hours to charge.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

most wall charger are 50-80 mah output
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bee
Radio of choice:
Futaba Fasst
# of RCs: 29

Total Props: 2

You can get a charger for under $30 these days that will charge any kind of battery you want.
Namba District 16
Futaba FASST
Tombsy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I would say you have 2 options;

If you want to use the same charger you have today, then just buy another 600mah nicad pack and fly (and charge) the same way you have always done. No headaches. [you did say you used standard servos and a standard receiver. 500 and 600mah packs have served the RC indstry faithfully for over 30 years before NiMh came out.]

If you want to buy NiMh, then get yourself a smart charger from Hobby King. Get one with a built in power supply for 40 bucks

In addition to doing your Nicads and Nimh, it will also charge your lead-acid field box batteries and your Lipos, if you ever do decide to get into electrics. 40 bucks isn't a lot of money to cry over, and the fact that it is an intelligent charger means you set your charge rate, turn it on and walk away. You dont have to worry about remembering to unplug a battery after having it on for xx hours. Trust me, I have done this in the past where I used an older dumb charger charging at high rate and I forgot to unplug it after a couple of hours. A day later, it is cooked to death and the battery is dead. This never happens anymore using one of these chargers
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 13

Your old battery would take a full charge from flat in 14 hrs with the stock charger and you would very seldom use it all. The capacity of the NiMH batteries is much greater but you only use the same amount per flight. The normal charger will do fine. If it is a non computer radio recharge two hours per flight and if it is a computer radio charge four hours per flight, note the airborne pack will not need the extra charge. When these batteries get to full charge they get warm and the faster you charge them the hotter they get. When these batteries get old they "LOOSE THEIR CAPACITY' not their voltage. My scanner has a couple in it and they have lost about 80% of their capacity but the voltage still comes up.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

My own advice regarding NiCads and NiMH batteries is to invest in a battery charger/cycler capable of working with both chemistries.

Over time the investment will pay off as NiCads and NiMH require different charge profiles and in the case of NiCads you can minimize any chance of imposing a memory on the cells. What that means is the battery starts to remember how much you ask of it. For example, if you continuously only discharge the pack to 80%, over several cycles the battery will think that 80% is all it will ever need to give you and henceforth your voltage will practically fall off the cliff once discharged to that amount, (what is called the "Knee Point"). By cycling NiCads you remove that little quirk and can not only get back full useage, if you record the amount it takes to get down to the recharge point you can accurately build a trend of battery health and the demands your flying puts on the Tx and Rx packs.

NiMH batteries do not seem to suffer this malady, but I find their self-discharge rate much higher.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 13

You can avoid the memory problem of NICADS by charging them up as soon as you can after their use. When you cycle a nicad you take away one full cycle of the thousand they promise and effectively shorten the life of the battery. The worst thing you can do with NICADS is leave them partly discharged. That is when they pick up the memory. By the way I have one cell of twenty for that I bought in 1964 that still works. So I know that this also works.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.