Do you analyze your accidents - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Re: Do you analyze your accidents

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I totally disagree with your analysis on 12, Ron. The root cause would be "The radio manufacturer put the switches in the wrong spot"
Well there ya go... I am truly faultless...thanks to Futaba.LOL
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
RCC Apprentice
I am: Derek P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

After some careful analyzing I found that the cause of this accident was pretty obvious. The tree clearly didn't stay still for my flyby. Lesson learned you ask? Of course next time I will try to flyby smaller trees. This should dramatically reduce the possibility of this happening again.

rcplanedriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

We had a tree at the west end of our approach on the north side. A lot of the pilots insisted on hitting it. So I cut it down. For the last two years they insisted on hitting the next one over. The gap in the trees is over 100 feet wide. Some guy's insist that they are smarter than the average tree.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
For the life of me I cannot figure out how these prairie flyers end up in the tops of trees.......what trees, it's all prairie.

Since when is Enderby, Brittish Columbia "prairie"?

You see - I was all out of my element! That's my story & I'm stickin' to it!

Wait just a cotton' pickin' minute! I wasn't even flying! Ron was on the controls!

And Dale - Just shut up about that glider - would ya?
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #25
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Yeah Dale, Mr. "hand the Tx off and run"! It was pretty funny though!

Merv it's a good thing your not a tree climber by trade!

I try and to figure out where/what happened, it not always easy to pin-point.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 12

I think you have to ,I lost one this summer EF 110 , I fly JR so you can rule out the radio lol ,the engine kakmaster DA100 did what it does best and kak,though this was not the the cause of the crash it was more a lack in judgement ,flying a light weight high drag plane tail heavy in high wind with a motor I didn't trust,deadstick landings are no problem and in the wind I always position myself well to make a landing but I did not anticipate the plane would come to a complete stop when turned into the wind deadstick, after that there was nothing I could do ,punched the nose down but gained no forward speed ,took the elevator straight biggy new fuse on the way ,I pulled the kakmaster and installed a DLA 112 been having great luck with them. I will keep this one for calm days in the future. what I learned was no matter how long you have been flying you still have to learn some things the hard way LOL . cheers Roger

Last edited by RAMJET; 01-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

What the heck is a "kakmaster"?
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

I think it's pretty much a requirement to investigate any incident that doesn't have an obvious explaination.

To this point, I've only had one accident that really couldn't be explained by something other than obvious, sheer stupidity. It was radio issue of some sort that locked up the servos on a new Cap 232, ending it's maiden voyage in a blaze of glory.

My post analysis showed that some of the old FM receivers I was using were possibly low-band (despite being labelled as high-band). On the bench the servos were twitchy and occasionally making quite pronounced movements. I converted to PCM and haven't had a problem since.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #29
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

Being an engineer I'm genetically programmed to analyse everything to death! But after a lot of crashes over the past 3 years (exponentially decreasing in frequency I'm happy to report), I've realized that the RCC member whose signature says something like, "The better I learn to fly the less radio problems I have" is correct. The more experience I gain in plane construction, set up and maintenance & in dealing with unexpected situations, the more I understand that when "incidents" occur it is basically my fault due to ignorance, unintended carelessness or lack of flying expertize.

As an example, a week ago I put my everyday, all-weather e-Stik (which has 100's of flights on it) into the ground so far I had to dig out the motor with the broken propeller pieces. It happened on a vertical downline from a stall turn when I heard a whirring noise & suddenly had no up elevator. I had recently put a temporary horiz. stab/elevator made of corosplat (sic) on because the regular stab/elev was sticking. Unfortunately, I had not thought to reinforce the coro hinge with tape & it separated under the force of the attempted pull out from the vertical downline.

In another case, a series of "mystery" spins into the ground was explained by my having put JR servo arms on Hitech aileron servos not realizing they had different spline patterns. In a sharp turn the servo arms had slipped creating a a permanent up or down aileron on one wing causing the spin. For a long time I thought there was somthing wrong with my receiver - even sent it back to HH to be checked over!

I guess the main thing is to learn from mistakes & not make them more than a couple of times. For instance, today the weather was pretty good in the a.m. but by the time my flying amigos & I got together at 3 p.m. it was pretty windy & cold. Well, instead of launching my repaired Stik into the air I decided to hold off for another day as I was not sure how the repairs had affected the trim. A couple of years ago I would have gone ahead & flown & probably would have been picking up the pieces 30 seconds later.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.