One battery for rx and ignition? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
RCC Apprentice
I am: Cliff B

Total Props: 0
Re: One battery for rx and ignition?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I think you will find that the main reason for using two batteries is to separate the electrical system for the ignition from the radio/servo system in order to prevent ignition noise from entering the control circuits, that is why we use an optical kill switch so that there is no electrical connection and keep the igniton and control system wiring as far apart as possible.
CliffB is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
JR 12X / Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: +20

Total Props: 5
Thumbs up Re: One battery for rx and ignition?

I normally use a seperate ignition battery but with my latest gasser (30cc) I'm going to try the IBEC from Thunderbolt RC. If it works ok I might consider it on my larger 50/100cc, but the weight of a 1100mah pack is so marginal that I truely don't see a huge benefit on the larger planes other than quicker charge turnarounds.

I still use 2 batteries (2300 mah A123) / switches on all my gassers for redundancy for the receiver. The power draw on the ignition is minimal and on my 1100mah A123 packs I barely put back in 500 mah after 5 12 minute flights. I'm the same as you and with digital servos I use a smartfly expander board for peace of mind and never experienced a brownout with the setup.
RV-8'ting and loving it!!
**Trout Farm Flyers**
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

thanks all for the input, I went with the tried and true system with 2 batteries/switches/regulators. Weight and room were not an issue in this airframe which made the decision easier as well.

reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4

I'll be trying a IBEC this comming year on a 2.4 system. Been reading a lot of posts on RC Universe about IBEC's this past year and opinions are varied but overall they seem to be alright with 2.4. I guess the only way to find out for sure, is to use one and see what happens. There will be a lot of ground testing before the first flight. If there is any indication of a problem it will be simple to take the IBEC out of the system. My objective is not to save weight but to have one less battery to service and simplify the system. Batteries have always cause me the most problems and the fewer packs I have to watch and servce the better I like it.
I guess everyone has to do what they are comforable with, but if you don't try something different you never progress.
Happy New Year to all.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.