General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 0
Question RC Cars vs RC Aircraft

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There seems to be little information being shared regarding RC Cars and RC Aircraft sharing the same location. Has anyone had or have any experience with this issue? What are the advantages, disadvantages, pros, cons? Our club had free access to a mining property, but this also depends on having the MAAC insurance cover this field. I also assume that if RC Cars are included, then they too would have to have to have MAAC insurance in order to keep this field available. I'm sure there is more to it, but I would like to hear from everyone, and anyone with some experience. No sense re-inventing the wheel!!!
Ron L J Roy
MAAC 28139L

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 10
Re: RC Cars vs RC Aircraft

I know MAAC does have some vehicle coverage. Some of our member (me included) run cars/trucks around in between flights. I also let my kids run them to keep them out of my hair. We have never had anyone without aircraft or maac run them? We have discussed putting in a track or crawler area for crappy weather and possibly to bring in new members. I am interested to see where this leads to.
Past Prez and Instructor
Edenvale Radio Controlled Aircraft Club
bartman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

There is a similar, cheaper racing insurance ($25USD and $35USD for the club cost) called R.O.A.R. (www.roarracing.com) which is specifically for sanctioned ground RC races and practices albeit less insurance (~$1 million, if my memory is correct). While I'm sure MAAC would have issues if you were running at the same time, they might be ok with you racing on different nights with no one in the air and your venue might be ok with the smaller insurance amount. I presume the damage most RC cars could cause compared with that of a plane is a bit less hence the cheaper cost and lower coverage level. The other option is a separate insurance rider for your surface RC club although, it might cost more than the ROAR one.

That's my personal opinion and whatever you end up doing should be investigated fully.
Current models: Hobbico Nexstar Electric, Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX , several micros/small helis. Nothing nitro/gas.

Last edited by g1975a; 01-03-2012 at 06:42 PM.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

It would also depend on whether it is nitro RC cars or electric RC cars.

Guys flying their planes would be pretty upset if there were Nitro RC cars tearing around behind them constantly. The nitro cars get pretty noisy and annoying after a while
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Are you talking about running cars on the runway area while planes are flying or having a car track next to the flying field? If so, would the car track be a fly-over area?

There is a local field here that is on city owned land. The flying field has been there since the 70's but a few years ago the city decided to re-locate a car track to the same land and for a while, we did have a conflict as AFTER the city moved the track, thier lawyers determined there was a liability issue having both aircraft and cars operating at the same time.

It took a long time and a changing of the guard with the local MAAC people in order to sort things out so that we could co-exist. The car track does have thier own insurance and is run sepparately from the airfield. I would recommend this as the way to go as long as you keep all the stakeholders informed.

Here is a video of a flyover of the field and surrounding area:

At 0:18 and 0:47 seconds you can see a clearing in the trees at the bottom fo the frame where the car track is located relative to the field.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 0
Smile Re: RC Cars vs RC Aircraft

Not talking about using same area at all. A separate area would be better for sure. The question wad among our members. I expect there may advantages, but it would azppear that disadvantages might prevail.. No decisions will be made quickly, and all the input here is very helpful arriving at the best decision. The more information we have, the better. I'm anxious to hear more if there is more out there
Ron L J Roy
MAAC 28139L

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.