Silver Solder? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30
Silver Solder?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I thought I would post my question here as this definitely is the forum where the builders hang out! I am building the BUSA 1/3rd scale Super Cub and part of the build is to put together the landing gear. It is done with silver solder. The more silver content the stronger the joint and after doing some research I have found some good quality (45% silver) supplies at a local welding supply store. It only comes however in a fairly big roll (way more than I will need for many, many builds!) Two questions: 1. do you guys know where I could get small quantities of the high silver content solder? 2. If it is not possible to get it in small quantities would any of you be interested in buying some from me so that I can ------ out the pain a bit? The package I was looking at was probably about a pound and will cost about $350 dollars! I would not be interested in making any profit on the deal but rather just splitting up the material and dividing the cost. If there is enough interest in doing a group purchase I would get some more details and some estimates of cost etc. I would buy the solder and flux and then take care of dividing the package into as many portions as we need. Let me know.... Thanks
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at

Last edited by Trumpetman; 01-07-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 10
Re: Silver Solder?

Boat guys use it too. I have a smaller roll somewhere. I will see if I can find it and check the specs.
Past Prez and Instructor
Edenvale Radio Controlled Aircraft Club
bartman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

You can always try a local sheet metal place.
A business where they do commercial roofing and metal work.

They might be able to cut you off a foot or 2, whatever you need.
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

We use silver solder at work, but cannot tell you what the percentage is. I found the higher the quality and strength the higher heat is required. Be careful you do not alter the properties of the gear when soldering them together.

We also use the proper soldering paste. Otherwise when heated enough, (red hot for ours) the metal forms a boundary layer and the solder will not bond.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
j patterson
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: j p

Total Props: 1

go to a welding supply store and ask them for silver soder in a stick about 24 in. long and it has a pink coating{flux}.
I'm sorry I do not have the brand name
j patterson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

CTC home depot etc. should all have it in the plumbing section.

Last edited by aceplant00; 01-06-2012 at 11:44 PM.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

I used that same metal work solder for my Beaver landing gear, and using a soldering iron it didn't hold. If you do use it - get a torch and good paste.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1

I get mine at Praxair locally - actually any decent welding supply should have smaller quantities.

The best I've found for this kind of thing is 'Easy-Flo 45' - it's a 45% silver alloy, and mine is made by Lucas-Millhaupt. (Handy & Harman Company).

There are others in this range, different temps etc., for complex items.

I don't think I paid any more than around $20 for the roll in a plastic plastic pack - and there's more than enough there to do a bunch of landing gears!

MikeS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

The " silver solder " sold by CTC is no good as it has only about 3% silver. You can buy both sticks and small rolls ( 31 grams ) at most welding supply shops. The 45 to 55 % silver content is best. You can also buy it on ebay. I priced it about 3 months ago, locally, and they wanted $64 for 1 troy ounce ( 31 grams ) thats about 5 feet of 1/16th inch diameter wire. Ontarios ECO Fees really screw us .. you can probably get it for less in Alberta. I finally went across to the USA to buy mine. 1.9 ounces ( 10 feet of 1/16 inch dia. wire ) cost $55 ..
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Geoff H
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 2

I have used this kit several times and it works great. I buy it at the hardware store across the border but it can be found online in places like amazon.

56% silver and very strong. Make sure you have a torch that is hot enough. Propane works for small items and I have had good luck with map gas torchs as well.

I have bought flux and have seen solder at the local sheet metal and hvac supply store.

If you get the solder by itself make sure you get propper flux for the correct temp range. Also make sure the metal is very clean. The solder flows very thin so dont leave any gap in the mating parts.

Its easy stuff to use and makes a very clean fillet at the joint if the metal is clean enough and there is enough flux. Heat it till the flux starts to melt and flow, the metal will be a light dim cherry red colour at this point. Remove the heat and apply the the solder, if it does not flow add a bit more heat and try again. It is possible to overheat the metal and cause an oxide layer that stops the solder from flowing. Stainless is very bad for this.

Sometimes depending on the parts you can make small rings of solder and slide them onto the joint into the flux then apply heat. The flux and solder will flow when they are ready and it can make the job a little easier. If you use this method do not apply heat directly to the solder as it can cause the solder to melt early. Put the heat on the edges of the joint and flux untill it starts to flow then you can heat the joint directly.

Last edited by GeoffH; 01-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.
GeoffH is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.