Trace scanned parts in AutoCAD - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: ChinookRC
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Trace scanned parts in AutoCAD

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm building an old Top Flite F8F-2 Bearcat red box kit (thread) that has been long discontinued and would like to be able to reproduce the kit for personal use and make modifications to it in AutoCAD in a format suitable for laser cutting.

- I'm using AutoCAD 2012 on Windows 7 32b, 2.5GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM
- I'm a new user teaching myself using the book Up and Running with Autocad 2012
- Inventory of uncut wood has been documented
- Parts have been scanned to PDF
- PDFs have been printed and dimensions cross-checked to actual parts

I'd appreciate any advice or help as I run into questions or problems alone the way!

I've converted my PDFs to TIFFs and have imported 12 of them into Autocad.

1. 12 is too many! I takes several minutes to open the file and the whole system is bogged down.
2. Are TIFFs the way to go?
3. I'd like to use Imperial units (1/64") because the loose wood is all sized in inches, but am more comfortable with metric. Does it matter which I use?
4. When I measure dimensions of scanned parts in AC with UNITS set to mm, they are correct (e.g. 135mm), but with units set to inches, I get huge dimensions (e.g. 9' 5"). I imported with units set to mm and scale set to 1 -- is the units setting at import irreversible, or can I scale somehow to switch between Imperial and metric?

More questions to come as I start tracing and managing the information.
ChinookRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4
Re: Trace scanned parts in AutoCAD

I can't claim professional level expertise with Autocad but do use it for similar purposes to yours so will give you my thoughts.

Re. TIFFs - I believe the TIFF graphic format is very close to raw data using very little, if any, compression. It gives very large files but low information loss. I always use .jpg which does use compression algorithms to reduce file size but I've never noticed any loss of information that has affected anything referenced into Autocad.

Re. Units - I believe you have to choose one set & stick with it. When you switch from mm to inches I believe each mm becomes 1 inch & therefore everything is 25.4 times larger. You could select everything & rescale down by a factor of 1/25.4 but then later you would have to reverse the process & things could get messy. Ultimately, all that's important is that everything is the right absolute size when sent to a plotter or laser cutter. You can adjust that at the plotting stage if you need to.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

TIFF's are likely way to big & I really can't see any advantage to them over a jpg for what you're doing. A Tiff has ZERO compression so every single pixel has been saved & will need to open to restore the full file.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1

Are you going to trace the images in Autocad or use the images directly? I assume you are going to trace the part outlines and create cut files from these tracings. If so what is the issue with multiple images? Just turn one on at a time, make the traced parts from that sheet, then either turn it off or better still remove the image from the file. Once you have captured the info in the traced component the original image is no longer needed. If the problem is each time you move the view port to trace the next section of the image it has to load etc. then try turning the images off except the one you are working on. Hope this helps. I have been using AutoCad to enlarge 3 views etc. for some time now and have done some tracing to get better airfoil data etc. but have yet to do a full laser cut set. Good luck.

BTW who and where are you getting the laser cutting done at?
Madman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

if you have nice clean scanned pdf files there is a program called pdftodwg converter which does an excellent job of converting into autocad .dwg files.

you might have to scale the size when you get it into autocad but that's it.

there are one or two sites online that offer pdf to dwg conversions as well. for free. have not tried these myself.

one here

and another
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

If it's slow to load you may want to think of getting more ram, that's typically the issue with really larger files.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
RCC Noob
Radio of choice:

Appreciate all the replies - thanks.

I've uploaded one of the 17 8.5x11 or 11x17 parts scans (file size constraints here mean it's a down-sized jpeg of the original pdf scan) so you have a better idea what I'm working with. I've verified that the scanned pdf doesn't have any measurable distortion and that the dimensions are correct after importing to Autocad.

I did look into a few different raster to vector conversion tools but in the end I think the shapes are simple enough to trace manually, and that accommodating the edge shadows and varying degrees of brightness are better done by a person. I also felt that tracing by hand would be a good introduction to Autocad so that when I want to make changes, for example to formers, I'll have the ability to do that. It would probably make life easier if I traced the parts with a pen to get a more solid outline.

I've started again with units in inches, importing jpegs. Yep, they have more than enough definition, and at 3MB each are easier to work with than the 40-60MB tiff files. The mouse scroll zooming seems to have slowed down with the switch from tiff to jpeg, need to check that.

Once I'm comfortable with the basic tracing, the real issue will be how to manage all the information: 17 pages of scans, about 100 parts, all at random orientations with info like material, thickness and part number to be recorded. I'm just starting to learn layers, so some advice on the best way to implement them would be helpful.

I'm thinking of maybe sending the files to GDH Planes in Whitby, ON. He's posted some useful customer file setup information. I'm not ready to start looking yet really.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-08 7-41-34 PM.png
Views:	55
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	133414   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-08 7-55-01 PM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	133415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts 1 reduced_01_resize.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	133438  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 9

too bad you don't have illustrator. it will auto trace your images.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

I agree with the above. Jpgs work better because of smaller file size, if the resolution of the image is sufficient enough. Tracing one sheet at a time saves computer resources>software delays>time.

You can set up whichever units you like best. Inches is great because that is the way wood stock comes but I don't like trying to input fractions or weird decimal numbers. If my own design, I will draw in metric (especially for plotting airfoils) and make whatever conversions I need. There are usually not too many. Like the others said, you can always draw in one unit, then re-unit the drawing when done.

You can also configure your dimension style to show both measurements. I often use this during planning/design because I still "think" in inches.

As far as managing parts...

Lets say you have a wing rib drawn. I will use a text command to label the part and write whatever other info is required (number of duplicates, material, etc). Then I will use the block command to make the part and all text a single entity. When you manipulate the block, all info stays with. You can also take this feature into 3D and the text still remains.

Another advantage for doing this is your laser cutting. My laser cutting guy (MR Aerodesign) has one colour for cutting and a different one for engraving. For instance, cyan for a cut, white for an etch. That way the parts get cut and the part number is also on it.

Layers: Often I'll use one layer for each type of component (former, rib, etc), a couple layers for generating full size construction plans and one no-printing layer in some harder-to-see colour (like dark green) for planning and working lines.

Hope this helps. Have fun with AutoCad. It is a powerful tool!
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
RCC Noob
Radio of choice:

Thank you very much for the pointers - it is daunting to be grinding through a 700 page book not knowing what I should be looking for. Layers seem simple enough now, and I'll skip to blocks next. I like the idea to use different layers for different types of components. I suppose it might be useful to also separate balsa from ply with layers, or is there a more efficient way to 'tag' parts (or is that the purpose of blocks)?

I was wondering about etching and am glad to hear it's possible.

If I trace one sheet at a time does that mean I'll have 17 dwg files? Or do I bring in the scan, trace it, move the data aside, delete the scan and repeat in the same file? I might be hesitant to lose the scan/trace alignment so quickly, worried that I might want to go back and do it better after learning something new.

Again, thanks for the timesaving tips!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.