heli help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 5
heli help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi my names Mike. I have built and flown scale aircraft for years now and am looking to get into helicopters now. Is there such a thing as a trainer. If so what brand and price range.
Mike. Spektrum Radios
Large scale warbirds built from scratch.
St Thomas, ON
Elgin Flyers. MAAC # 61332
Mlang1321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
Re: heli help

In short,Yes.Do a search and you will find dozens and dozens of threads regarding this very topic

Here is one to get you started http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...ner+helicopter
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

First, welcome to the dark side....

That thread has some good information but due to the date there have been some great improvements to the heli hobby since the last post in it.

Larger helicopters can be very intimidating and starting with one, while certainly feasible, may not be the best choice now. There are a lot of cheaper starter helis, especially if you have a dsm2/dsmx transmitter. Blade makes some very good intro helis.

Unless you're very serious and know you will be pursuing the hobby, spending $500 to $1000 may not interest you. If you just want to get a taste, and be able to fly indoors, then I'd highly recommend the msrx or 120sr. Both pretty stable and very durable so they will handle most crashes with little to no damage and both under $200 RTF. Crashing a 500-600 size heli will cost anywhere from $20 to the original cost of the heli, usually in the $50 to $100 range on average for just bent shafts and replacement blades. Good CF blades alone can be $150.

If you have a good sim and someone local knowledgeable about helis then by all means, think about a 450 or larger heli, if you want something to learn the ropes with indoors this winter in prep for next year then a msrx or 120sr would be great.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Since you're already into the hobby, do you have any sim time on helis? If yes, I'd skip the 120SR and it's ilk. If no, then not a bad place to start just to dip your toes in the water.

Really depends. What's your budget? Will you have local help? Maybe a dude at a club?
uʍop ǝpısdn ʇı op sʎnƃ ılǝɥ
rotormonkey13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kenny S

Total Props: 1

My vote for the E-flite Blade msr. More fun than using a sim. Very forgiving as far as crashing... as you will still break things... but your wallet shouldn't be one of them(Unless you put it through your flat screen tv). And where better to practice and learn than the convenience of your own home.
MAAC # 82336
Sherlock is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.