Head Speed - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Sparkfarmer
RCC Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Pat B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 6
Head Speed

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I recently received all the components I needed to complete my Venture 50 kit(Main blades, receiver). I'm almost done my final setup, and nowhere in the manual does it specify a head speed. I only ask because I remember reading on a few threads some members paying strict importance to this.

Is head speed only a concern for hard core 3D'ers?

If I needed to, how do you set it up? With a governor or a rev limiter? How do you measure? Basic optical tach?

Cheers!
MAAC #83261
Sparkfarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
824TSV
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Re: Head Speed

I'm not specifically familiar with your heli, but I'm assuming it's a .50 size. I was taught/ told that on larger helicopters, .30 and larger, never to exceed 2000 rpm with a plastic head, or if the main hub is metal and the blade grips are plastic. If the head is metal, than I suppose you could exceed that by a couple of hundred rpm, but I wouldn't go much past 2000rpm myself. You can use an optical tach to check blade rpm, or if your using a ESC like a Castle Ice unit, you can check several different parameters including engine rpm and ESC temp, voltage, etc, using the Castle link downloaded onto your PC. Any build manual that I've looked at has suggested pitch and throttle curves along with recommended motor pinions. That would be a good start, because the manufacturer has calculated the head speed given various combinations. I have a couple of larger heli's and they seem to fly very well with the head speed around 1900-2000 rpm. Have a look at www.drhc.rchomepage.com/calc.htm for a very good head speed calculator.
824TSV is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
hardcore
RCC Contributor

I am: Aaron
Radio of choice:
JR/Spektrum

Total Props: 7

Based on the manual, you have a gear ratio of 9.78:1

This would mean a headspeed right around 1750, at an engine speed of 17000. You could push to the upper envelope of the 50sx-h and get 2000, but i'd shoot for around 1800 on the Venture.....

An optical tach works, as does a gov/rev limiter. The optical (presuming good batteries) will let you know that the gov/rev limiter is set correctly

HC

Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Sparkfarmer
RCC Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Pat B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore View Post
Based on the manual, you have a gear ratio of 9.78:1

This would mean a headspeed right around 1750, at an engine speed of 17000. You could push to the upper envelope of the 50sx-h and get 2000, but i'd shoot for around 1800 on the Venture.....

An optical tach works, as does a gov/rev limiter. The optical (presuming good batteries) will let you know that the gov/rev limiter is set correctly

HC
Ahhhhhh..... that makes sense. Thanks!
MAAC #83261
Sparkfarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 11

A 9.78/1 gear ratio is high for a 50 (even for a modern 30). Most 50's today run a gear ratio of 8.7 to 1 or in that range.

The higher the head speed, the faster the cyclic and collective response.

We set up helis today for high head speeds for the fater response we want for the more extreme 3D.

For the more sedate flying as in training, sport aerobatics and scale, you may well consider setting for lower head speeds in around 1600. This will make the heli much easier to handle, and result in longer lasting heli components and engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in