Working on my first Scratch Build. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5
Re: Working on my first Scratch Build.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Great work Gary, I am having a little trouble beleving this is your FIRST scratch build, looks like you have been doing this for years!

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
i dont know
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: allan m
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 1

Hi Gary, Good stuff on scratch building, my first scratch build was a 30cc simple gas airplane, but seeing a box of balsa come to life an fly almost hands off first flight was quite a feeling. i also built a telemaster, an did the same with a hatch up front over the fuel tank. Now i can pull the hatch an take motor an tank at the same time in about 5-6 minutes. something else i did was not use golden rod through the wing with only one servo, i used one servo per aileron, you cannot even notice a weight difference, an its a lot simpler as well. good luck on it, an have fun
i dont know is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Thanks again to all of you for the comments & replys.

Sorry I have been off of this project for the past week or so during which time, I made 4 trips to the hospital having tests for yet another bout of kidney stones. Xrays, Ultrasounds, blood workups, urine tests and finally a CT Scan. This was a bad one! I actually passed a rather large stone right at the hospital. Still waiting on the report to come to my doctor as to whether there are more of these little suckers learking in the nether reagions! Gawd, I hope not!! Anyway, I am back at it now so lets continue with the build......!

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Having the tail feathers lined up and assured they will be level and vertical, I used epoxy glue and mounted them in place. The fin is an easy install as it fits tightly in the slot on top of the stab so it is assured to be lined up properly.

Tip: When ever you glue a part that fits into a slot such as this, apply the glue, C/A, into the slot and not to the part! IF you put glue on the part such as the fin, it will scrape off when you insert it and you will have globs of glue all along the join. Put the glue into the slot and when inserting the fin, it pushes any excess glue to the inside where it will be unnoticeable!

Next I used a neat little tool I purchased from DuraGrit to bevel the elevators and rudder so I could now hinge these parts. ( See Pic). I use C/A hinges so all that is necessary to do the hinges is to use an X-Acto knife to cut the hinge slots. Hinges slip easily into these slots.

Tip: Do not glue the hinges yet. Just insert them in the fin and rudder as well as the stab and elevator, and put them in place to assure everything is again lined up. It is much easier to cover the fin and rudder, the stab and elevators before gluing the hinges in place. Same applies to the ailerons, which we will see later when doing the wing.

Next I cut out all the parts to do the cheek plates on the front of the fuse. Parts were glued together, sanded square and ready to install. I had to remove the engine and mount before gluing on the cheek plates. I use epoxy here as the firewall is A/C ply.

Note/Tip: Whenever gluing plywood, I always use epoxy. Even if you are gluing balsa to plywood, use epoxy as you will get a much stronger bond as opposed to using C/A. IF possible, clamping epoxied parts will also help increase the strength of the bond!

With the glue applied and the cheek plates set on the firewall, I used a bar clamp to hold them tightly in place until the epoxy setup. See Pic.

I used 100 grit sandpaper to shape the cheek plates to the contour of the fuse.

I fuel proofed the firewall and the inside of the cheep plates with 5 min epoxy.

Tip: Once the epoxy has been applied and before it sets up, use your heat gun and lightly blow over the epoxy. This really smooths it out and once set it looks almost like glass for a nice finish.

Pics will be posted shortly once I get them re-sized!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.