Which spray gun? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1
Which spray gun?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys,

I need to know what spray guns out there are what I need for my projects. Presently I have no spray gun but I do have an air compressor from Canadian tire.

My projects are a P-47 but only stars and bars. A royal Corsair in british camo scheme. A taylor craft over solartex and then going to re finish a Byron P-47 razorback and thats a much larger bird.

In the area I live in there only is really Home depot and canadian tire but I can make a drive to ottawa for more store locations as shipping takes a while and I need to lay some paint down now!

Dave Pépin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1
Re: Which spray gun?

Dave, if you do go into Ottawa, find your local Princess Auto and take a look at one of these - it's a mini HVLP gun that'll run on a smaller compressor, & is plenty for RC aircraft. I use one like it I got at Harbor Freight Tools in the US for everything - like spraying latex on my 1/3 Cub for example.

And it's no great outlay either, somewhere around $25 which certainly ain't bad.

You'll find that most of the ones that HD & CT carry use too many CFM's for a smaller compressor & it'll be running to keep up most of the time.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by MikeS; 02-07-2012 at 08:24 AM.
MikeS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Jason P

Total Props: 0

Hi Dave, I bought a basic automotive trim gun last year and used it with a pancake compressor(porter cable) with no problems. I also got a filter/water separator which is improtant. The one I bought was about 30 bucks at Cross Canada Auto.
More detailed work may require a proper air brush.
Good luck.

pjp01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20

Hi Dave;

From what you are saying, I am guessing an airbrush would do a better job for you. You will spend a little more to get a good one. There was a guy selling a couple here a couple months ago. The Aiwata he had is the same one I use and it's a great brush. Don't rush it at this point, it's the finishing that makes everything including a model plane.

If you are doing small work,detail work, weathering etc, you won't get the quality of spray out of a touch up gun. They are more for shooting entire planes. I have used my airbrush to shoot whole planes, but it takes a little longer. I think I will check out that Princess Auto one mentioned for myself for shooting entire planes.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.