What makes a "Fun-Fly" fun? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 14
Re: What makes a "Fun-Fly" fun?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I ind the fun flies that I can camp at the most fun, the evening bonfires are great. Cheap led string lights make night flying a joy too.

I find any kind of contests like a spot landingkes up so much time, someone goes all out to win so I avoid fun flies that have any planned events to them.

Whether I get one flight in or five makes no difference to me, it's not about me, it's about hanging out with other rcers.

I dislike the Dutch tx impound system where a max of four or five tx's are let out even though only one plane is in the air, the other three are in the pits, screwing around. I find events where the 2.4's tx are not impounded work well and the 72 mhz impound and look after that end of things themselves.

Prizes are ok but necessary.
I never flew the CF-100 but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express! I'm on Facebook as KPK Warbirds.
cf100 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Rob Mackenzie
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Thanks gents... really good ideas! Keep them coming!
I don't know what I don't know...
My Motto: Start off easy and then taper off.

An AXN floater, an Apprentice 15e, a Stinson SR-10, a DHC-2 Beaver, a GP J-3 Cub 20 on the bench, a scratch-built TTP by Russ40 and two Funbats and a "The Twins" still in the box...
RobMackenzie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

At the risk of being lynched Rob, how about this?
A husband and wife/girl-friend/significant-other stand back to back, with the person holding the Tx facing away from the plane and the other watching and giving instructions to the one holding the Tx! Then reverse rolls?? Could be hilarious! For the spectators, that is!

P.S. Diabolical!!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
william storzuk
RCC Contributor
I am: William
Radio of choice:
JR X9503
# of RCs: 2

It must be well organized, especially on the flight line, when you have people landing or taking off at the same time, NOT a good feeling!!!!! some planes cost alot of $$$$$$$$
just my 2 cents!

Last edited by william storzuk; 02-13-2012 at 11:22 AM.
william storzuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Tex Gehman
RCC Contributor
I am: Clarke
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7 and Spectrum DX8
# of RCs: ???

If you are going to shut down for "demo" flying, have the experts keep it short: five minutes max. Nothing more boring than seeing a fling-wing or plank flopping around doing 3 D for fifteen minutes. Tex.
Slime is Crime. 176 blood donations and rising! Five more years to make 200. Retired from 15 years delivering Meals on Wheels [more than 11,000].
Tex Gehman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Richard J
Radio of choice:
Futaba 6EXA
# of RCs: 20

Smile Re: What makes a "Fun-Fly" fun?

Excellent comment, Tex.... couldn't agree more...

Last edited by pipercub55; 02-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.
pipercub55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

I have been to events where the weather was total crap and still had a great time! (GMF 2009, 2010) so the flying is not the ONLY thing that makes a fun fly fun.

Prizes are fine, and the hourly draw for active pilots is a good idea, (name goes in the draw for every flight) but not the reason to go to a fun fly. I have never gone to an event to win prizes.

Annother problem with prizes....they need to come from somewhere. I have been working to organize our FF's for the last few years and it is a lot of work to go around to local buisnesses with your hat in your hand looking for donations, and as for raffles, the problem is what do you raffle? if it's a kit, only the poeple who want the kit, or who want to support the club will buy tickets, we have taken a bath on a few of those.

a couple little tricks that we are slowly learning when it comes to fun fly's....advertize!!! make posters and get them out everywhere, and local radio will usually plug the event for free, web sites are good, but not many non-pilots will ever look at them, RCCanada Events page is good and MAAC is good too, the events page in the MAAC mag is the 2nd place I look, and their web site events page is great.
Signs!! Directions and road signs....parking signs. the last couple years I have started putting up signs the weekend of our event and I was amazed by the number of visitors that showed up becaus they noticed the sign. after posters and radio plugs were going for a couple weeks, a lot of poeple still have no idea the event is going on!
The pilots and hobby ppl will make a point to find you, but the public have to be informed.

for the pilots new to your site, make it known the rules for the site, and put up signs for them to know where everything is, Pilot Reg....pits...parking....bathrooms...everything, this will save you having to answer the same questions over and over.

Annother Idea I am thinking about trying is T Shirts for the organizers to make them easy to identify, so often I hear somone asking "who do I talk to about this or that" and then the reply is "see the guy with the airplane on his hat?" Really??!! there are 23 guys there with airplanes on their hats! a T shirt with FUN FLY STAFF or somthing will make things go a little smoother (I hope).

annother thing to think about (we all hate the thought but it must be considered) is what to do if the weather totally crapps out!
At one of the first Fun Fly's I helped run the weather was total crap! wind, rain even snow (IN JULY!!) and it was so rotten I just assumed nobody would make the trip to sit in that crap, well I found out there were a group of pilots who drove a couple hrs to come only to find out there was nobody at the field. Some of them were a little pi$$ed off (and rightly so) so I made sure to ask for forgivness and made a promise to not let that happen again!
If your weather crapps out, you may want to look at having a big tent, or some shelter available, and you have the possibility to go somwhere dry (community hall or local diner etc) intil the weather gets better, have somone stay on the flying site to inform pilots where everyone has gone.

well thats enough typing for now, keep the ideas coming, I like to steal the good ideas and pass them off as mine :P

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Nice post Bill .... I think you have touched on everything that makes an event a success ... the emphasis should be on the "Fun" part .... for everyone .... pilots & spectators most of all ( willing or unwilling )

+1 for the effort (not sure how to add a + prop for ya .... has something changed again ... but the intent is there)

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
RCC Contributor
I am: Chuck B

Total Props: 5

From a specators point of view (No one should have to watch me fly, its painful) I like to be able to look at the aircraft and shoot the breeze with the owner/flyer/builder.

Alot of non RCers who attend these events want to try. so maybe take some time in the afternoon draw 5 names or 10 or whatever and give them the chance, with a qualified instructor and buddy box of course. This may help bring in a few members.

A good PA system and host are always a plus.

I'm looking forward to the summer this just might be the year i get out to more events.
cman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Gerald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 13

Knowing you can attend an event , leave your stuff out all weekend and not having to worry about any of it getting stolen . Know i'm sayin' ??!!
The engine is the heart of an airplane , but the pilot is it's soul .
hellyeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.