Super Tigre .51 2-stroke problems - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Michael Koenig
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 1
Nitro Super Tigre .51 2-stroke problems

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had bought this engine in an auction and have run it once with great reasults, then I had installed it into a plane (hanger 9 p-51 sport 40). I was able to get it started but when I tried to advance the throttle, it would quit or when I would remove the glow plug or screw in the high speed needle from the origonal starting position (which is 3 turns). I then set the low speed to the original position and I was able to advance the throttle to full but with the high speed needle still at 3 turns instead of 2 and a quarter.
engine is also inverted

Neeeed help please!!!!!
warbirdlover15 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39
Re: Super Tigre .51 2-stroke problems

Michael, welcome to R/C Canada!
Feel free to call me (780 672 0927), I get down that way regularly. Always a lot easier to diagnose in person.
In the meantime, I'd start by looking at the tank set-up. Possibly a pinched fuel line, by the foam maybe. Or a air leak, pinhole. If you take the tank out, block all but one line hold it under water and blow proving no pinholes in lines.
If it ran good on a test bench then it WILL run good, after your problem is located and recktified (me bad speller!)

FishFly - FunFly, Sept 11-13. Great fun!
Trout Farm Flyers. Life is good.
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

probably an issue with the engine being inverted. 2 strokes do no like being inverted. Best on side of head side up.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

First thing is to install a 4-stroke plug. When inverted the fuel/oil has a tendency to flow down into the plug bore. This reaction pretty much happens with anything beyond side mounting, getting worse as you mount towards inverted. 4-stroke plugs, such as an OS "F", remain hot longer due to the need to stay lit on the intake'exhaust stroke and do a better job of burning off that fuel and oil.

Dale Hunter is also likely pointing out an important point. Normally with the engine mounted right side up the centerline of the tank will line up with the center of the carb. Flipping the motor inverted places the tank much higher in relation to the carb and can exacerbate the mixture. One way you can check is to try and run the motor with the plane supported inverted. Another indication is this: if fuel is leaking from the carb with the engine stopped and full throttle then you have your fuel tank too high in relation to the carb. I had the same problem on my Harvard II and it took a bit of work to get the positions correct.

You never mentioned how it idles, so I'm making the assumption it is stable. One thing to try is to pinch the fuel line while idling and then see if the motor simply dies or if it momentarily speeds up. If so this is an indication the LS needle is set too rich.

Not sure on ST settings, but with every other motor I have you normally start with the HS needle 1 3/4 turns out and the LS needle flush with the throttle arm. Once you have them close adjust the HS needle at full throttle, then work down to idle, adjusting the LS needle for a stable idle. You may have to do several throttle ups to see how it accelerates. If it stalls then you likely are still too lean. If it stumbles and burps oil and smoke you are too rich. The perfect condition will have it able to idle forever and still transition smoothly to full throttle.

NOTE: You will want to do the final adjustment to the HS needle, richening a couple of clicks from peak to ensure you will not have a lean run when airborne.

All this is predicated on having a mechanically sound engine. Air leaks in the carb mounting or crank bearings will make the motor require an overrich setting to compensate.

p.s. I'm not trying to be condescending with these instructions. Just do not know what your experience level is and am trying to cover as much as possible.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Ontario Re: Super Tigre .51 2-stroke problems

I would recommend using an idle bar glow plug for inverted installation. I always used an FOX Standard idle bar plug in my .75's and 45's even though they were mounted sideways.

The ones made in Italy had to have the low speed adjusted about 3 -4 turns rich out of the box.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.