Sticky black mess - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
I am: Brendan G

Total Props: 2
Question Sticky black mess

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I thought I would ask this here with all the builders around. My Aeroworks with it's DA100 has a lot of oil residue on the belly after the break in period. Oil from the exhaust ports on the cans all the way back to the tail. There are two issues, 1. what teflon tape do you use for the flex portion of the headers? The teflon tape I wrapped the flex portion with was the thin white pipe fitting stuff and seems to have soaked in a lot of oil and some actually bled through. Most of the tape is just sticky and black now. I was thinking of using the yellow stuff since it is thicker but am not sure what works best. Problem 2. some of the covering lifted around the can cooling opening and the wood has a black residue on it that is definitely oil. Can I paint this area with something first and then re-cover it? I hope the oily mess will stop now that I have changed to a 50 to 1 ratio. I was running a 32 to 1 ratio until I put the plane away in the fall.

13404 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: guyl

Total Props: 1
Re: Sticky black mess

For the wood that has oil on it....hmmmm. try K2r a spray spot lifter, it works
for glow fuel.
Kit builders are a dying breed
guyl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

a layer of baking soda overnight on the oily area will do wonders for drawing the oil out.
reo is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Max Standen
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 6

mix Methyl Hydrate and rubbing alcohol in a jar about a 50/50 mix and get a paint brush and paint it on where there's oil and then get the heat gun and heat it up and oil will start coming out of the wood so quickly wipe it up and go again untill its gone!

thats what we use for glow fuel oil stains on wood.
Trex 600EFL Pro DFC ,EG Aircraft Mxs-R Matt Hall DLE 111 pro Flow canisters, Extreme composite Sukhoi, Ritewing Zephry 2 FPV, Twin Star FPV, DJI 550 Hexa FPV.
Max Standen. Trout Farm Flyers
Team Pro-Rc
flyboysnow is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.