RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Laser 200
RCC Apprentice
I am: David R

Total Props: 4
Gerard Sylvestre

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Gerry, left us last night after a long battle with cancer. His passion towards family and flying was truly amazing. He started in this great hobby many years ago, learning to fly from a former world champion in the state of Washington in the early years of radio control using the Reed system that was as he said interesting to use. Never to be discouraged he advanced with new technology and moved into new systems as they became available, large gas planes, ducted fans and then into turbines. Gerry loved the turbine side of the hobby immensely, and always included his wonderful wife and family whenever possible. He and his brother Laurier would never turn down the chance to fly, attending jet rallies or any flying event wherever they could. He would never refuse the opportunity to set up a jet on his kitchen table to show off to family and friends. The last few years were tough on Gerry as his health started to fade, he always liked to converse about jets and what was going on. As the end approached and he did not have enough strength to fly or travel, you could tell the desire was there but the light was fading. I do wish he finds the great airport in the sky as he truly deserves that honor.
We lost a great modeler and friend from this hobby

Laser 200 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
dx18 all the way

Total Props: 8
British Columbia Re: Gerard Sylvestre

God speed my friend

I never had the chance to meet him but heard many great things about him on behalf of all of us from Princeton Jets please pass on our condolences to the family
Maac 18218-L ,
Ridge Flyers,MAAC Jet Committee
2 ltr club Founder
Sebart Blanik 3.2m,Mythos 125e SAB GOBLIN URUKAY,MA XLPRO2K
kev-o is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15
Re: Gerard Sylvestre

Thanks for letting us know, David. I have not heard of him but he sounds like a great ambassador for the hobby. May his family find peace in this time of sorrow.
Current models: Hobbico Nexstar Electric, Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX , several micros/small helis. Nothing nitro/gas.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 10

Nicely worded David. Thank you.

Dean Wichmann
Its no longer a hobby after 40 years....gulp!
Helijet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff Daly
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Gerry was a close friend and fellow jet buddy while I lived in Cold Lake. His kind heart for the jet community was second to none, and mentoring of us young guys was important to him and appreciated. We buddy-boxed many times and shared some never-forgetful moments.

I was fortunate to see him last September...his spirits were high even though his health was quickly declining. I know he keeps his head-up and is flying among the stars! He will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers to Gerry's close brothers and family.

Jeff Daly
Jeff Daly
MAAC 23523
JDJetJock is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4

Jerry was a very, generous and modest man and a gentleman as well. Always helpful and friendly and I will always remember him as a friend who give more than he realized or would admit to. I am sad to see him go, but happy to see his suffering over.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roland H

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the heart felt words David, Gerry was always a classy kind of guy. He will be missed.

c114 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Alan B
Radio of choice:
JR and Futaba
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 3

I only got to meet Gerry a few times, but whenever I talked with him I saw, like Bruce said he way a classy gentleman. I was not as close as you David. I know you will miss him deeply and I am sure that you will have your memories of him that will be treasured in your heart for many years to come. David your words were very well said.

Jean and I send our condolences to family and friends.
High River RC Jet Club
MAAC Jet Committee Member
MAAC 21353
JPO member
akb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Nathan Rondeau
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
Alberta Re: Gerard Sylvestre

David & Sylvestre Family .

So glad that I made the trip before Xmas , I will always remember Gerard when we had lunch and talked about the day's he flew his Rocket 4 Maule , and the stories of all the fishing trips , I am very privileged , to have shared time flying jets , Gerry always prevailed .

I will miss him allot in the hobby community !

Nathan & Eileen
nate55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5

I am saddened to hear of his passing, but as Bruce mentioned, glad that his suffering is over. He was sick for a long time.

Gerry's path and mine crossed in many different places - Salmon Arm, Red Deer, Moose Jaw, Princeton, and, of course, Bonnyville.

He was a saint.
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.