What motor with what ESC?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andy Z

Total Props: 0
What motor with what ESC??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm new to electrics, just bought a used sport plane with 42-50 650kv motor and 40A esc, using 4c 4000mah 4s lipos. Now that I've read all about lipos, I'm trying to learn what the numbers mean for the motor, specifically, how to determine what size of esc would fit what size motor. In my case for example, I'm thinking of mounting 40 size floats on this plane and figure I will want more power than it has now. I have no idea as to what size motor to get and what equivalent size esc. Is it typical that if you want a bigger motor you would also need a larger esc and batteries? Any charts that you can go by to see what fits what? And what's the "42-50" in my motor designation mean?
azsiros is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: David
Radio of choice:
Tactic TTX650
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4
Re: What motor with what ESC??

42mm is diameter of your motor 50mm is how long it is
If you're planning on way-overpowering your plane and "flying like a maniac", you might consider gluing the tail feathers down to avoid flutter.
paladin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andy Z

Total Props: 0

Thanks, that was too easy! Now to figure out the rest...
azsiros is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

For the ESC, you need to find the specs of the motor where they will show how many amps the motor rated for, if say, 20 amps, you would use a 30 amp ESC. A higher amp ESC won't hurt anything, it just adds weight.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

The 42-50 650kv is about 1150 watts, when using a 7 cell lipo and 60 amp esc, so you need to get one with a higher watt rating. Go up to at least 1300 + watts for a noticeable difference.

But, since are using a 4s now, you are not using the motor to its capacity. Upgrade the battery to at least a 6s, and the esc to a 60 amp, and you will notice a marked increase in performance using the same motor.

And most of the motors paperwork, specs, etc will mention the esc required. Not all do, but most. Always better to err to the side of caution and go too large, than to have the esc pack it in during flight. Once you get up to planes using that size of motor, the extra few grams of weight is insignificant.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bobby
Radio of choice:
JR11x/JRx9503/Futaba 8 UHPS
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Everything starts from the type of plane and weight based on these factors you can decide the power required.
Once you know how many watts you need you should look for a motor that can deliver this power with the battery pack and prop you want to use.
The ESC used should be rated higher than the max current of the motor.

The 650KV is the speed of the motor - 650 rpm/volt so the prop and battery size has a significant factor.
bobmic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9

Here is a link to RC Hobbies online tutorial on electric power for dfferent model types. Hope it helps.

Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.