Radio setup on 100cc 8+ servo aircraft ?? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237
Re: Radio setup on 100cc 8+ servo aircraft ??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
With any radio or programmer you have to do one servo at a time when they are on the same surface ,if you were to turn on a radio with the servos not set up they would fight each other ,that is the reason you are setting them up in the first place. has nothing to do with brand, but futaba is ok too they just have ugly hats LOL ,some radios can be used to setup all the servos if they have enough channels ,but if you don,t, and have to use Y harnesses you will need a programmer.

Roger

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
With any radio or programmer you have to do one servo at a time when they are on the same surface ,if you were to turn on a radio with the servos not set up they would fight each other ,that is the reason you are setting them up in the first place. has nothing to do with brand, but futaba is ok too they just have ugly hats LOL ,some radios can be used to setup all the servos if they have enough channels ,but if you don,t, and have to use Y harnesses you will need a programmer.

Roger
With my servos I could plug the two of them in on a y harness and select the one I wanted to program. When I cycled the servo back and forth it would cycle them both at the same time. and adjust one at a time. It was super easy.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #23
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyban View Post
With my servos I could plug the two of them in on a y harness and select the one I wanted to program. When I cycled the servo back and forth it would cycle them both at the same time. and adjust one at a time. It was super easy.
The problem with that is you are dragging a servo and that affects the setup of the other servo ,so you have to remove the servo arm anyway to do it correctly,so why not just remove the servo arm ,kind of a pointless feature .IMO anything big enough to need 2 servos in one wing would benefit from 2 power sources and separate signal leads for those servos ,sharing a lead simply reduces redundancy .

Old 03-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
The problem with that is you are dragging a servo and that affects the setup of the other servo ,so you have to remove the servo arm anyway to do it correctly,so why not just remove the servo arm ,kind of a pointless feature .IMO anything big enough to need 2 servos in one wing would benefit from 2 power sources and separate signal leads for those servos ,sharing a lead simply reduces redundancy .
Im not dragging my servo both are powered and running. Remove one linkage to you can observe the position of that servo (no binding or dragging). My original post was asking if the Hitec programmer was like this and apparrently it's not so my answer has been answered twice now Thanks!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

you don,t have to take servo arms off if there is only one servo per surface to do the setup on any radio that I know of , you just use the radio ,so what is the advantage of S-BUS I don't get it .all radios with independent channels can set up those channels independently ,any radio with independent servo adjustment must remove servo arms when servos are adjusted on the same surface.???and any radio that dos'nt needs a programmer. s-bus just has the ability to adjust more than one servo through one wire .you have to setup s-bus the same way as any other radio ,you just have less redundancy ..
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super

I have two servos ganged up on one aileron. Both servos run off the same channel and there centerpoint and endpoints are matched using the programmer.

As far as redundancy I wanted to really look up the deffinition before I argued that. This is what came up. Is this what you were getting at?

re·dun·dan·cy/riˈdəndənsē/

Noun: 1.The state of being no longer needed or useful: "the redundancy of 19th-century heavy plant machinery".
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

I used to put one servo on each channel of my 12X, and a few others have done the same on their 9303's, but found that when the TX and Rx were powered on, until the link was established, all servos would position themselves randomly.
Picture an aileron now with 2 or 3, 490oz-in servos on it and they all move to a random position on start up!!!!... You can see the aileron twist under the strain!!
IMHO, this is unexceptable and very tough on the airframe, servos and linkages!!!

Problem solved if one can program their servos and link to one channel, or use a matchbox/equalizer........ Or go to the best system on the planet....SBUS, LOL!!

T
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in