Charger recommendation for A123? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Re: Charger recommendation for A123?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by luv2flyrc View Post
Hey Jim,

Duralite offers their A123's with an internal balancer or EXB (external balance). You have the internal. 2 of my 6 packs that went south were internal, the other 4 were external.

Yes, certain models of the cell pro charge through the balance tabs. There's a video on the Fromeco site regarding charging of A123's and although they don't name chargers, they state that they have tested most and they are definately not all equal. Even some of the expensive high end chargers are crap at charging A123's

They do go so far to say that Cell pro is an excellent one.

I didn't bother to get one yet as I went out and replaced my A123's with lipo's and my 1010c's seem to charge li-po's just fine.

I'm going to have a look at Toledo and see what I can find. I know ICARE is there and they carry Shulze. Anything German is good!

Yeah I didn't buy any more Duralite after that happened. I have more luck building my own or buying them from Electro Dynamics as they come with a balance plug. I use their/HobbyKing ballancer/checker or the TP210. my cells, so far have stayed within 0./01v of each other so I think that is pretty good.

It looks like I will be stuck in Halifax right during Toledo so I can't make the trip. If you can checkout what icare has and let me know your thoughts, it would be appriciated.

I agree I the BEST car stero I ever owned, bar none, was my Blaukpunt in my 74 Carolla with Blaukpunt 7x9s and Pioneer tweeters. Jenssen Triacs suck a$$. That deck even had builtin reverb which made for some intersting tunes!

I use to own a set of Braun Bookshelve speakers with 8" woofers with 40lbs magnets that made the JBL Concert Speakers I had sound like something from Radio Shack! The Germans make the BEST electronics, Yavolt!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Mark H.

Total Props: 1
Re: Charger recommendation for A123?

I head to check my own set up and here are the findings;
Thunder Power 1010c may KILL your A123 packs within few charges!!!
Depending on the software revision it may have the max voltage set to high.
Max. save charging voltage is 3.6V per cell (as per manufacture - A123 Systems).
From my experience charging at that voltage and current rates up to 4C did not cause any damage in 3 years.
Now going to 3.65V(which is forced in one of the TP1010 software revisions) may cause serious damage. Charger will allow momentary voltage fluctuation and cross the 3.7V dead zone several times during the charge cycle. (Usually towards the end of the cycle.)
Here comes the good part
.... or more affordable HK unit ($44) does an excellent job handling the receiver packs and YES YOU GUESSED IT itís set to 3.6V per cell max.
What Iím trying to say here is that we need to pick a correct tool for the job. Will the Accucell-8150 charge your big 8cell Lipo packs? Give it a try but Iíve to warn you, Eric is still working on putting the smoke back to not one but 3 of those units.
I hope this info helps you a bit. Iíll be at the Mississauga field early Saturday and Iíll have both chargers on hand.
Coolheli is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.