Really Giant Scale Hurricane - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Really Giant Scale Hurricane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
That's a six foot table, and can't fully fit the rudder! Leeann is in the background, she's detailing the interior of her 1/4 scale Cub. I think I can manage the elevators, and vertical stab in this shop, ailerons too, but everything else will be cut and assembled in the double garage. Sucky part is, it's not insulated or heated! Thank god for fleece, and space heaters, that should keep me alive through the winter.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #22
RCcanuck
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John M

Total Props: 13

This is just going to be insane to see finished!!!
RCcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

It's a bit insane just sitting and looking at the rudder! Hope the rest of the construction goes as quickly, having the Mick Reeves kit for reference sure helps!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

A few more shots on the progress of the rudder, I'm now working on the left side, installing al the ribs, then a ton of sanding, installing cap strips, tips, etc, and then I'll get the trim tab fabricated, and start figuring out all the mechanics for making that functional. Thank god I've got the entire tech manual for the Hurricane, that has tons of diagrams of all the systems. Included are a couple of shots of the Mick Reeves fuse, tacked glued together for future reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_2603.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	176520   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_2609.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	176521   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_2608.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	176522  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

The rest of the aircraft ply has arrived, a truck load of 1/2 and 3/4 in, so I can start cutting out all the fuse bulkheads, and spar sections! Once those are all done, then we'll have to get all the spruce milled up, for stringers, leading edges, spar laminations, etc.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
RBIRON
RCC Apprentice

I am: RON B
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 1

What size is the fuse on the table the rudder looks like it is too big to go with it is this 2 different builds?
RBIRON is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #27
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

The 1/4 Hurricane is a Mick Reeves kit, and I'm using it for reference, for lofting it up to full size. The rudder is over 6 feet tall! I'm building a 100% scale full-sized Hurricane, and we're looking to put a chev small block V-8, with PSRU (Propellor Speed Reduction Unit), so that the aircraft can be started and taxi'd during airshows, exhibitions, etc. With luck, in about 2 years, hopefully less, I'll be doing the first startup and taxi trials of the first Hurricane to reside in Shearwater since WW2! The 1/4 scale Mick Reeves kit was originally going to be part of another display, showing the CAM ships, that had catapults to launch Hurricanes on one-way missions, with the pilot ditching beside the ship at the end of the flight. It's likely going to be way too big for that display, so I'll be providing a smaller scale Hurricane to match the scale of the CAM ship, and the Mick Reeves Hurricane will be my "bonus"for doing the whole project.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

As an update, the rudder should be done this weekend. I've already pre-cut all of the blanks for the horizontal stab, vertical stab, elevators, and the spars. With luck, in a couple of weeks I'll have all of the wood fabrication complete for the tail. We'll then have to fabricate the hinges, and start dealing with electrical for nav light, and cable runs for the trim tabs. Thinking the Firewall to aft cockpit will get framed up next, I really want a fuse to sit in by Christmas!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I've been insanely busy of late, planning and executing our club's First Annual Model Rocket Extravaganza, in co-operation with Maritime Hobbies, we did that Saturday, a great event we'll repeat in the spring for sure. Lots of other work on the go, my Great Planes F-4, and the Me-262 project. I have been puttering away on the Hurricane though, and will be taking the rudder down to the aviation museum tomorrow to show it. Not done yet, still have 1/2 the leading edge to install and shape, but almost there! Once the structure is done, I'll make the trim tab, then the whole assembly will be stored away, while I do the Vertical stab. That should be a lot quicker than the rudder, much simpler, and I've already pre-cut all the blanks for it. After that, elevators, maybe the horizontal stab, if I can fit it into the insulated/heated shop. If not, I'll get to work cutting all the fuselage parts. We've got info coming on the steel tube structure, from the UK, Hawker Restorations, and a great bit of help from an RC Canada member (see previous posts), and I've got a welding crew lined up. Doing a welded steel fuse fram will speed up the project by many weeks, and will allow us to fit an engine for showing off at airshows, doing ground runs, taxiing, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_2680.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	181096   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_2681.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	181097   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_2682.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	181098  
Old 04-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
RBIRON
RCC Apprentice

I am: RON B
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 1

So where you at with this now?
RBIRON is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.