Really Giant Scale Hurricane - Page 33 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:38 AM   #321
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Really Giant Scale Hurricane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Right wing is still able to be moved by myself, left wing is now a 2 person job. They are way lighter than they look! After this fall, when she returns from the travelling road show for the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain, we'll have to do weight and balance, as she'll be suspended from the hangar.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #322
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30

"They are way lighter than they look!"... doesn't mean that YOU can handle them by yourself...

Proceed with caution and wait for assistance...

Good Luck and Take Care.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #323
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

You haven't seen the crap I have to regularly haul out to the aircraft, often 200 lbs worth of crap, stokes litter, hoisting mannequin, winter flying kit, digital camera kit, Strop, flight bag, etc, etc! I'm very careful, it was simply a matter of lifting up the aft section of the wing, and sliding it under control till the leading edge touched the floor. Very little effort required!

Second sheet is now attached to the bottom left wing! Getting very close to being ready to transport to the museum!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #324
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Two more panels installed, one on each wing. Left wing needs the wing tip finished off, a bit more sanding, and, if I can get some muscle, the underside of the leading edge done, then it's ready to ship, rest of the finish work will have to happen after I fit the wing joiners, set the dihedral, etc. Right wing needs one more full panel on the top, and two more panels on the underside, along with the tip and underside of the leading edge, before it's ready to ship. Hopefully we can look at transporting the left wing by Friday, which clears space to finish the right wing, and ship it early next week. I'd like to have the wing assembled for the Spring Hobby Show, along with getting the tail feathers attached to the fuselage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	578650   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	578658  
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #325
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Two more panels installed today, one on each wing. Left wing just needs the tip finished, and then it needs to be transported to the museum, and I can work on the attachment to the center section. Right wing is coming along, but need the Left wing out of the way, it's getting way too crowded in the shop!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	580890   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	580898   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	580906  
Old 03-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #326
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Lots of progress today. Got the Left wing flat on the tables. Yes, all by myself, it's quite manageable, lol. Leading edge sheeting up to the spar joiner section is now done. We'd tossed around a few ideas about doing the leading edge, my fave was to use closed cell foam, sand to shape, then glass, but now that the Hurricane needs to be able to be shipped around for shows, that won't work. Even with a well padded cradle, I don't think it would handle the abuse. So, it's back to solid wood, and insane amounts of plane work. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	583170   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	583178   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	583186  
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #327
Cricklewood
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 3

You may have thought of the ideas below but I will throw them out as possible alternatives for doing the leading edge and hopefully reducing the amount of planning required.

If using solid wood, can you do some pre-shaping of the leading edge before putting it on?

Alternatively could you use thin plywood that is flexible and bend it around some mini ribs shaped to make the leading edge? If one layer is not strong enough laminate multiple layers together as they are applied.

Just trying to think of some alternative ways to do the leading edge.

Good luck, I am enjoying watching the work you are doing.

Chris
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #328
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

OK will answer in order, then explain. Just cause I'm feeling mischievous.
No, and no.
lol
Pre-shaping, great idea, if I had the space. With the two wings in my shop, I'm literally out of room. I can't fully open the door to the kitchen right now, and have to crawl on hands and knees into the shop till I'm past the flap section. I can't physically get to my workbench, other wing is leaned up against it!
If I start eyeballing another space in the house, I'll be shot. Multiple times. Well, we don't have guns, so probably stabbed a whole lot!

Only ply that would bend around the leading edge, especially at the tip, would be aircraft grade, super expensive, and our LHS would never stock enough of the stuff, even if we could afford it.

Hope is to build a semi-hollow leading edge in place, but can't be too hollow, as the wings will have to sit on the leading edge in cradles, for transport. Stay tuned for more, hopefully this will work!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #329
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Chris, I'm doing a bit of a hybrid, only screwing in place the 3/4 clear pine, then plane to shape, screw the next layer on, etc. It will allow me to get everything rough shaped, then remove, re-assemble if need be, off the wing for final sanding. I'll post pics tomorrow, and keep you posted on the success, or frustration! lol So far though, it's going really well. Hand plane was in fine form tonight, so initial work went very quick!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #330
Cricklewood
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 3

If the blade is good and sharp it should make quick work of the pine.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.