Really Giant Scale Hurricane - Page 36 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #351
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Really Giant Scale Hurricane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, thanks to some muscle from my good buddy and helper John, we got more finishing work done on the Horizontal and Vertical Stabs, plus we were able to move the fuselage, lower the wing centre section onto a trolley, and then slide it in place. We then slid the fuse back over it, centered. Next while will be slowly jacking up the wing, trimming the ply fuse sides as required, till we get a good fit, with 1/8th gap all around for the Wing fillet. After that, we'll have to move the wing, and start building all the blocking required, to bolt the wing to the fuse. When that is done, I'll get the fillets out of the way. After that, it's fitting the outer wing panels to the center wing, build the spar joiners, leading edge, etc, one wing at a time! Should be moving the second outer wing to the museum next week. When I'm at home, I'll get going on the ailerons, flaps, canopy, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	596314   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	596322   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	596330  
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #352
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 152

Its really special when a fuse starts getting its wings. Cant wait to see more of the assembly pictures as it comes along

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #353
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Still not sure if the Museum will let us knock some holes in the outside walls, and partition walls, to fit the outer wing panels. . .. lol. We have to fit the center wing to the fuse, get it all bolted up, and then immediately remove it, and slide the fuse out of the way, so I can lay the center wing flat on tables, and work on attaching one outer panel. Issue is, the center, plus an outer panel, equates to approximately 24 feet. We'll be blocking a fire exit in doing that. So, we'll have to work nights/weekends, during closed hours, to do that, and stop everything, clean up, and pull apart, daily! It's going to take some serious planning!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 AM   #354
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Hey Dave- Not sure if you already mentioned it somewhere else in this thread- but what are you doing (planning?) for the metal hardware on this plane? Things like the main gear and tailwheel struts and oleo legs. These were originally castings, but I am sure they can be CNC machined if necessary. Wont be cheap though. Or do you have access to original spares kicking around from some salvage yard.

Just curious, since it looks like the fuse will soon be ready to be fitted to the main gear so that it can stand on its own.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:39 AM   #355
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Well, anyone that's got a set of gear kicking around, we'll gladly take a donation! lol I've found a source for a tailwheel that's a match, still working on the mains. We'll most likely have to fabricate a set of mains, have some contacts in the machining business that can likely help. Fortunately the mains are fairly simple.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #356
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

This weekend was the Shearwater Aviation Museum's Annual Spring Hobby Show, and the Hurricane was well situated for viewing by all. I continued work on it all weekend, mostly getting the final details done on the tail surfaces, as well as getting lots of little things done on the fuselage. By the end of this week, all of the tail surfaces will be going to the workshop in the museum, to get fabric done, and I'll concentrate on getting the fuse ready for fabric. I've got the wing center section all set up and blocked, ready for building the wing fillets, which I'll progress next weekend, and then the fuse, minus the two belly pans, will be ready to cover. Belly pans will be framed up in situ, and then I can take those home and finish them for covering. Once the fuse is good to go, it will be moved aside, and we can start fitting the wings. At the current rate of progress, I'm hoping to have the completed airframe done, and into paint for end of May!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #357
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwavesdave View Post
At the current rate of progress, I'm hoping to have the completed airframe done, and into paint for end of May!
Wow. That is a very aggressive timetable! Good luck Dave, you have a ton of work ahead of you

Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #358
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

It's not too bad, tail feathers is a bit of filling/sanding, fuse needs about a day's work, prior to the wing fillets, and we've got a great plan for doing those. The wing joining/finishing will be a week or so, but all the sheeted areas are already filled, sanded, and sealed, so we've got a leg up on that. For paint, hoping we can transport the aircraft to the local Chev dealer's paint booth. Mke Herman, a member of our club, and the guy that arranged the transport of the parts from my house to the museum is an exec there, so if we can swing that, we can paint the aircraft in a weekend. Most amount of work time wise, is setting up the mounting of the wing to the fuse, and getting the landing gear setup done. Rest is all figured out, just need to execute the plan!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #359
Sandy
RCC Contributor

I am: Sandy M

Total Props: 5

Gentleman, I saw this craft on Saturday at the hobby Show, and Dave is doing the Hurricane proud!!

Truly a work of art....the mind wobbles..
Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #360
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Over the Weekend Hobby Show, Leeann got a lot of the sanding sealer applied to all the internal areas of the Hurricane. She seems quite happy stuffed into the belly of a Hurricane!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	601642  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.