Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1
LiPo battery break- in

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does any one have a LiPo battery Discharger. I am going to break in some 65 C LiPo's and need to run them through a number of cycles as I will be using them at a 35 - 45C rate of discharge. I will be using them in an ALES type electric glider and there isn't sufficient room to use a larger battery to get the discharge down into the 15C rate of discharge. I currently use some auto light bulbs and try to watch them to make sure I don't over discharge them, but this is tedious and I am looking to see if there is any Discharger that will automatically cut off the discharge at a given voltage.
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: LiPo battery break- in

Most computer chargers will do what you're asking but... I've never had to break in a lipo before. Not like nicad or nimh.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

First I ever heard of needing to break in a lipo. Nicad or Nimh, yes, but not a lipo.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

The closest thing to 'breaking in' I've heard of is from Hyperion. Their packs are recommended to be charged/discharged at a lower rate for the first few cycles:

Hyperion G3 LiPo are robust and do not need a complicated break-in procedure. We recommend that the first 5 uses are limited to 3C charge rates, and that pilots use throttle management to avoid long periods of max-rate discharge for those first 5 flights. Note also the other care suggestions below. Those apply pretty generally to any LiPo pack, not just Hyperion G3...
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
RCC Noob
I am: Peter C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0

there is a electrifly product called cell match, that I pop on now and then it brings it down and balances it, but yes you still have watch it
warb1rd007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8

I just charge mine at 1C for the first couple of charges and then just shorter flights the first few times I use them, it's not that fussy IMO.
Vintage Mini owner/lover
Better To Be divided by TRUTH, Than United In Error.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 4

Charge at lower rate initially, and don't run them down as much as you normally. Fly half or three quarter of the normal capacity, and use throttle management. For helicopters,I avoid idle up or stunt mode initially.
Heli: Blade MCX, MSR, CPP2, 2 x HK 450, HK500GT, Trex 450 Sport, Bell MD500 (450), HK500GT, Trex 500 ESP, Trex 600E Pro
Quad: Gaui 330X, Gaui 500 with GU-INS
Floats: GWS e-Starter, CL-415 Canadair
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9
Ontario Re: LiPo battery break- in

Get an accucel-6 charger plus the ac/dc adapter (from hobbyking) and it will do everythng you need to 100% manage LiPos fro 2 to 6 cells.

You dont need to break in LiPos. If hyperions need it, use a different brand like Zippy or Rhino.

Read the lipo charging rate instructions and NEVER let them get below 3.0 V / cell. They can be irreperably damaged! When you are not using them, make sure you put them in storage mode, 3.8 V/cell.
Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!

Last edited by Dangaras; 04-16-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
Thumbs up Re: LiPo battery break- in

As above.Low charge rate and go fly
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gerald B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 5

If you really want to cycle your batteries down, The thunderpower tp820cd will cycle batteries up to 10 times. you can set the high and low voltage. Max discharge is only 2-3 amps.

I dont think a constant discharge at any rate is the best way to condition a new lipo. As above, I believe you just go fly.... be nicer to it for the first few cycles than you normally would, and vary the throttle during flight
MAAC# 35271
dirtdr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.