Maidenfest 2012.......cancelled - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Events Discuss your local events, events attended, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #51
chris p
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris p

Total Props: 1
Re: Maidenfest 2012.......cancelled

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by kwm View Post
MAAC must have a problem for some stupid reason since they didn't say S##t about the event last year and it went off without a hitch. .
someone will have to correct me if im wrong but I dont think that last years Maidenfest was sanctioned, It was a invite only (by pming a fello member)
maac didnt get the chance to shut it down.
chris p is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #52
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian Fisher
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 3

I also copied the Public Relations Director, Past President and MAAC Headquarters.

Clair I am very disappointed with your and MAAC's decision to cancel this event. I was then enraged to here you would arbitrarily pull the clubs charter if they held a Fun Fly the following week with airplanes that had been properly Maidened.

I believe you owe us a detailed explanation as to why this event and the FUNFLY event could not go on. Quoting the "One Sentence" from the MAAC rule book is not enough but PLEASE give us some sound arguments as to what made these events dangerous.

This event has been well publicized for many months and you did not step up early to criticize it then. WHY NOW???

I spent the winter working on a plane for this event (it was a great motivation to keep at it) and made special arrangements to board my dogs so I could drive the 4 hours to the event and start the year off with a great flying event. Your decision to act at this late time will now cost me a cancellation charge. Thanks!!!!

If you want my support (and I am sure many other fellow members) for MAAC in the future you owe all of us that were going to this event a well detailed explanation of your thought process that led you to your decisions.

Brian Fisher
MAAC 80465
Brian Fisher
Parry Sound Ontario
BAMDFISHER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #53
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Very dissapointed and I'll be talking to my zone rep this weekend. I too think it was handled very poorly and threatening to pull the charter of the club is a low blow.
A simple caveat would be to ensure that all attending are MAAC members and close it to the general public. Given the planning and those expected to attend, this would have been an excellent venue for people to maiden their planes. Shame on MAAC.
MAAC 9551L-IMAC 3705
Former SA Chairman
Team Great Hobbies
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #54
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 13

still shocked and pissed they would threaten pulling a clubs charter for having a fun fly , done within the rules the following weekend. sounds like a witch hunt to me .

Brian I would love to see the reply from your Email to them,cant wait to see how they explain this one.

RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #55
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Sadly this raises a bigger question, how are you supposed to maiden a plane? If your a member of a MAAC club, and you show up at the field and there is another member there with his buddy, wife.....I guess your supposed to wait until you have the field to yourself, and no one watching???

Isn't anyone (another member) a specator IF they haven't got anything to do with YOUR flight??? I kind of thought this might happen when this thread started. When you have a public announcement, and a bunch of new planes getting together on mass, it gives the "ney sayer" a torpedo to get even.

I am betting that the explanation from MAAC will include "you are infringing on the rights of the regular membeship of the Keswick club to use their field when they want to". Sadly by limiting access to the event you were "damned if you do- damned if you don't".

I haven't renewed my MAAC membership this year, this puts another nail in the MAAC coffin for me. It would be nice to go to other fields and fly with new friends, but the policies MAAC is chasin' (to protect us from injury or liability) have gone way over the top.

I am lucky, I have my own private field. I can fly any time 365 days a year. Now if someone wanted to come fly off my runways, I could allow them access (give them permission) and IF they were a MAAC member they may even be covered by the MAAC third party liability insurance. Maybe they wouldn't be. I asked the MAAC zone director about how this would play out in the event of a boo-boo, he couldn't tell me. If he doesn't know how am I supposed to?

Again I really feel for the Urban Bubble dwellers that have to jump through the hoops to fill their obsession to fly RC planes. I also know how it feels to have the rug pulled from under my feet after planning and organizing an event. Lets face it, all MAAC is seen as (at least to me) is an "iffy" liability policy. One thing is certian, if someone gets injured by my plane, I know their (and their lawyer(s)) are commin' after me.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #56
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7

Come on MAAC you got to change with the times!!!

Time to review the rule book about this subject

In the normal event format you have multiple pilots -5- flying at the same time and yes I can understand the need for a model to be pre-maidened.

The event format couldn't be any safer!

#1 The plane is check out and approved to fly - Hmm just like an IMAA event.
#2 The pilot is the only person flying at time of the maiden - This is a biggie!
#3 The pilot has a co-pilot helper /spotter
#4 The audiance are fellow MAAC pilots who all have there wings.

I covered the event last year for Model Airplane News after being personally invited and again this year I was personally invited by the club. Funny this event is a year old and I never heard a word from anyone that this format was causing problems.

I feel the MAN coverage I did went a long way to show Canadain's we are trying new things and the report was very positive and well recieved by everyone who read it. I was proud to be at the Maidenfest birth last year and was looking forward to attending this year.

Note in BIG respect to promoting MAAC - I've never submitted any photo's for print of models that have crashed. A few years ago I had talks with the former President of MAAC I do know MAAC would prefer people to be VERY prudent in not posting photo/video of people doing stupid stunts etc that could raise our insurance rates. In this day/age of everyone having video cameras uploading you can't stop everyone who thinks this is a cool crash - Is this the real fear of MAAC?
Not Happy? - Form your own Jet club "OVJ"
ken park is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #57
Old School Flyer
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Hanes E.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 10
Gas Re: Maidenfest 2012.......cancelled

Now after a cooling off period (for me)

I have given this extra thought. I wonder if maac has been put under pressure by the local area/someone to stop this event? Say a neighbor or politician ? We get these pressures all the time at work. .....
It Sucks and is unfair, but we deal with them and hope they use vasoline before they administer.
Still think it is a spineless move and does nothing but under-mind this hobby.

As for the Keswick club. Must agree with another poster it seems that it maybe a witch hunt. I'd keep the eyes in the back of your head open....and be looking for a back up field for the future just incase. I hope I'm wrong but it screams bad news

Last edited by Old School Flyer; 04-23-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelting
Old School Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #58
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 13
Thumbs down Re: Maidenfest 2012.......cancelled

How about we all bi cot MAAC and ones who haven't renewed there maac memberships don't do it till we all get a reasonable and understandable explanation about this threat and forced cancellation of a perfectly safe event at this last minute!.... I hope other clubs are watching this and as a protest would allow there already paid or renewed members with club dues only to fly till we get this issue resolved.

Btw Dave, i have arranged to fly with a friend's radio since i sold mine recently, and now this crap!!, i'm sure there are others who have gone above n beyond there normal ways to make certain arrangements to be able to drive far to be at this event, now all of sudden this is what we get from our own governing body doing this to us!!....BIG Thumbs down MAAC

Last edited by Struts1; 04-13-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #59
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: david R

Total Props: 6

Karl, I have a 50cc yak I need to maiden. Would it be okay if i came to your club to do it there? I would like some help and I know a few of the members there that I trust. I also have a few friends that have been building over the winter and would like to come too.
QMAC Admin
davecrash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #60
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: david R

Total Props: 6

Originally Posted by chris p View Post
someone will have to correct me if im wrong but I dont think that last years Maidenfest was sanctioned, It was a invite only (by pming a fello member)
maac didnt get the chance to shut it down.
I was the President of AMAC at the time, It was an invite only and was originally a few guys that had built the same plane over the winter were going to maiden the same day. A few others joined in as the day approahed. It only came to AMAC at the last minute as the original location was still under water. I was not one of the original planners. As it was not an evant and maidens aern't allowed at an event it was not sanctioned. It was closed to the public. MAAC was aware it was happening. No prizes no awards just a bunch of guys doing maidens on the same day. For saftey and MAAC regulations one plane at a time with a spotter and all the other pilots were aware each time a plane was going up.
QMAC Admin

Last edited by davecrash; 04-13-2012 at 09:40 AM.
davecrash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.