HK/Turnigy Quality - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Rob T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Elec HK/Turnigy Quality

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi, I would like to know if the motors, batteries, and esc that are sold at hobby king under both the turnigy name and HK own brand is good equipment or am I best to stay with brand names from my local hobby shop (obviously 2-3 times moer expensive). I hope I have not opened a can of worms here but HK prices look pretty darned good does the quality of their products match their prices.
Also is shipping to canada quick.
Thanks for all input
zepplinman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
Re: HK/Turnigy Quality

Originally Posted by zepplinman View Post
Hi, I would like to know if the motors, batteries, and esc that are sold at hobby king under both the turnigy name and HK own brand is good equipment or am I best to stay with brand names from my local hobby shop (obviously 2-3 times moer expensive). I hope I have not opened a can of worms here but HK prices look pretty darned good does the quality of their products match their prices.
Also is shipping to canada quick.
Thanks for all input

For what it is worth....I have been using Turnigy, Zippy, HK products (Outrunners, ESC's, Lipos, Life packs, Chargers, etc etc) for about 3 years now and have no complaints so far.....all have and are still working well for me.

Shipping on average, as long as you order items that are in stock, takes about 3 weeks.....I never order out of stock items, the wait could be just to long.

Hope this helps

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Chris S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 2

I haven't tried their motors or esc's but I use their batteries and I'm very happy with the quality/performance from the Turnigy Nano-tech series.
Chris.S. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Michael Hyatt
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Michael H

Total Props: 6

Yes, you've opened a can of worms. Each person has their own opinion.
Batteries, nanotech, rhino, (zippy)flightmax, turnigy, best to good in that order.
Esc's are pretty much okay, just remember to make sure you add 25% to whatever you need.
Motors, again okay for most.
A lot of other product are comparable except for the extremely low prices.
As for shipping, it used to be pretty good, nowadays you're looking at roughly a month; so order well in advance of when you'll need it.
As for the local shop being 2~3 times more expensive, they have shipping and profit from the distributor, shipping and profit from the retailer ...... all for pretty much the same products, just rebranded.
Just another 2 cents worth.
MAAC # 81375 30 Planes and 2 Belt CP Helicopters a WK 4G6 FBL, v120Do2s FBL a Nine Eagles Solo Pro, a quad mini-pet, a quad WK Ladybird, and a quad WLT 959.

F@H (Folding @ Home) Folding Proteins Today for Tomorrows Cures.
Michael Hyatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

The nanotech batteries are very good as are the plush escs. Motors and servos are a bit of a hit or miss affair.
Outrunners have all been fairly good, but some of the inrunners were a bust. I bought one servo for $1.50 that was surprisingly good and one for $16 that was junk !
Heat shrink was good as were all of the nuts and bolts. Even their CA was actually a " brand name " and worked well. Props were also good, pretty good prices on carbon fiber folding props. The icharger series of chargers is also very good. Overall I am quite pleased. Sure some of the stuff was a dud, but considering the price I will continue to buy from them.
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9

Not a problem so far. Everything has worked well and beyond expectation. Everything that has died was killed by my handiwork except 1 accucel 6 charger that lost the ability to charge 3 and 6 cell packs.. I am really pleased and would never pay the LHS prices unles I needed it TODAY or HK did not carry it.
Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Eric
Radio of choice:
JR / Futaba
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

I have had good luck with the escs and outrunners, I bought the shrink tube in my last order and I am very pleased with it for the price. I will deal with them again.
JR 9303, Futaba 9chp, spektrum dx3r pro
Lanier Edge 540 with a zdz 80cc on a tuned pipe, Ohio Rc Extra 300 with a zdz 60cc
rc4wd TF2, Scx10 Dingo, Gmade R1, Savage Flux HP, T-Maxx converted to brushless.
insomniac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Batteries from HK are generally fine. You get the odd dud, but for the price, who cares?

Escs like the other dude said, oversize them a bit and you'll be fine. I find they heat up a lot when you get anywhere near their rating.

Motors again, hit and miss. Really the QC on them just stinks I think. It's a crap shoot. You might get a good one you might get a garbage one. Same for the servos.

As a rule, if it's stuff that's going into a park flier that I don't really care about I might buy from HK. It has it's place. If it's anything that could hurt someone when it goes in, or something I just don't want to see go in, HK electronics (batteries excluded) don't go anywhere near it.

imho, the big difference between HK and the LHS stuff is that the quality control of the HK stuff is horrendous. They send it on down the line and to hell with it if it's actually good or not - it gets sold to you. If it's good, you're in luck. If it's not... Well then you're not.

The stuff at the LHS with brand name stickers on it have names to back the products. The products typically have good quality control and you pay for that. You also pay for the warranty should anything go wrong and service to back the product up.

Not too long ago I sent in some 8717 servos into Horizon for servicing. They replaced the servo leads, the gears and one of the cases and charged me little more than shipping. It cost me FAR less to have them do it including shipping than it would have cost me to do one with parts off the shelf myself. Very happy with the customer service of most name brand companies I've dealt with so far. Can't say the same for HK. You get what you pay for.
uʍop ǝpısdn ʇı op sʎnƃ ılǝɥ

Last edited by rotormonkey13; 04-13-2012 at 10:24 PM.
rotormonkey13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

It is a crap shoot if it will work or not but its so cheap order two of anything just in case and its still cheaper then one here lol. Their turingy batteries are sweet havnt had a bad one yet my neighbor even run them in his trexx 700e
"Trout Farm Flyers"
North Star Laser And Vinyl Works
MAAC # 83720

bhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

I have had 30 orders so far from HK, and only problem I had was a broken tip on a wooden prop. Product is fine, good value, and works great. Their epoxy is good, CA works great, shrink tube is good, etc...........
I use Turnigy motors, esc's, and batterys. Had some of these batterys for 3 years now with no issues, and they are used quite often. I just make sure not to discharge them below 3.6 per cell as an added safety margin.

Shipping is about 3 weeks, so don't be in a hurry for the product. And do not ship it EMS option, it costs you more, and does not get here sooner.

Overall, a great option to save some coin.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.