Truck recomendation for 2nd vehicle - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Troy
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Elec Truck recomendation for 2nd vehicle

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
First off, I have read the old forum posts and have settled on purchasing a traxxas 1/16 summit vxl based on the information that I have found there.

I am starting to get into the RC hobby with my son (8 years) by purchasing a hobbyzone champ rtf. We both have a lot of fun learning with this plane. I have noticed that my son has trouble with right and left when the plane is flying towards him. I thought if I got a truck he could practice with the direction switch till it was natural and also use the truck when it is too windy to fly.

I have settled on getting the summit, but I am looking for a recomendation for a second, less expensive truck that he could use. I think the summit would be a bit too much for him at the momment. Besides I don't know if we could take turns properly . It would also be nice to have a second vehicle to be able to race as I am sure he would have a lot more fun then simply driving the car around the yard.

Basically I am looking for a truck, 2wd is fine, that can go through grass, gravel, sand and jumps. It should be durable (we aren't jumping them off houses or anything). Water proof would be nice.

Any ideas?
fenris is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13
Re: Truck recomendation for 2nd vehicle

Nice thing about the Traxxas line is that you can set it up on training mode to keep speeds down for younger drivers. Install only a single nimh battery to keep power delivery down as well.
If you have already purchased a 1/16 Summit then I suggest buying a second Summit or similar vehicle like the 1/16th E-revo. I say this because you will want extra batteries and maye a small cache of spare parts and you can use them on either vehicle. Axles, bearings, diffs and other commonly replaced parts can be used on either vehicle.
If budget is a concern then watch the classifieds on RCC or Kijji. The 1/16 Summits and E-revos pop up for sale quite regularily and you may find one for a fair bit less than new price. E-Bay is also an option.
If you really want to improve your flying and help your boy to learn control of an airplane then I cannot recomend a flight simulator enough. It made a huge differance for me when I was first starting to fly. I also had to think my way through stick movement when the airplane was coming towards me. I received a simulator as a Christmas gift and played with it during the winter and when I went to fly the following spring basic flight was all second nature. The differance in my flying was night and day.
Simulators are also for sale on here fairly regularily.
Hope this helps.
Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

I agree with the above post about getting used and sticking with Traxxas. The part support alone makes it worth it. Maybe getting a brushed Traxxas 1/16th Summit, Rustler, Revo or Bandit is your best bet. Kijiji or the forums here are pretty good although a new Bandit isn't that expensive.

I don't know if using surface RCs is a good way of teaching controls flying. The radios are completely different so I, too, recommend an air SIM. RealFlight or the Phoenix ones are the most popular. The Phoenix one even includes Spektrum DX5e air controller, if you get that version.
Current models: Hobbico Nexstar Electric, Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX , several micros/small helis. Nothing nitro/gas.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
RCC Noob
I am: Troy
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the recommendations! I really appreciate them!

I was thinking about getting a second summit. It is probably the best way to go. I really like what I have read about them (revo and summit) and the fact that there is a huge list of replacement parts available for them.

It hadn't occurred to me to look at flight simulators. I'll poke around the forums and read the recommendations.

fenris is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1

My 8-yr old is having fun and good luck with his Traxxas Monster Jam series truck.

It's basically a Stampede with monster truck tires and rims on it.

Earl "narly1" Anderson
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.