Greetings from northern Alberta - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Glen Stromquist
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9CHP
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Alberta Greetings from northern Alberta

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Greetings all - I came to this site via google search for Eagle Tree RTH function yesterday, and saw this is a great board so decided to join up. I notice a few familiar handles here from RCGroups and/or fpvlabs, so some of you might already be familiar with me.

Anyway, for those that aren't, in a nutshell, here is a brief description of me and what I do.

Been flying RC about 20 months now, so relatively new at the hobby. Started when I coworker brought his HZ Super Cub to work one day, I was amazed at how cheap it was to get into the hobby (little did I know..) compared to when I looked into it a few decades ago in the 70's. So for fathers day 2010 I went and picked up a RTF Super Cub too, after about 3 flights I decided to fasten a small turnigy cam to it and that was it, I just HAD to video each flight after that.

Later that fall (2010) I had been researching bigger planes to carry better gear, and decided to build a big foamy from Mike Evans designs over at RCG, called the "Exposure". I maidened it exactly a year ago and snapped it in half with some noob dumb thumb panic (I think it was my 8th flight overall), but was undeterred, and very happy with the GoPro footage I got from the short flight. FF to now, almost 2 years into this "cheap" hobby my inventory consists of the following:

Aircraft - Exposure (home built), Stryker, Super Cub X 2 (enought spare parts I'll eventually build the 2nd one), Gaui 330X, Witespy 450 quad (just finishing) and Easy Star (which I just gave to #1 son, going to buy a Bixler now)

Cameras - 2 GoPro HD heros, 1 Drift Stealth HD170, 1 Contour HD1080, 2 Canon A495's, and an assortment of keychain cams, HD wingcams etc. Also have a K10D and Pentax K-x that my plane is capable of carrying, but I haven't had them aloft yet.

FPV gear - 1.2 GHz setup from RMRC, cloverleaf and skew planar wheel (broken) from RMRC, Turbine and Windmill antennas from Hugo up here at TrueRC, 540 tvl camera from RMRC, 640 TVL cam from securitycamera2000, and HK 540 camera, Eagle Tree OSD package from RMRC

Radio - Futaba 9CHP 72 mhz, FR-Sky module and 3 rx (for helis)

Misc - too much to list, damn HK and trying to maximize the weight on orders..

My youtube channel is here, Vimeo is here. My last video was a comparison of the GoPro and Drift, side by side.

Here is a couple of pics of my plane, as well as a still from a few flights ago..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110311_6.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	148130   Click image for larger version

Name:	exp1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	148131   Click image for larger version

Name:	lac la biche sunset.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	148132  
Glenstr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Greetings from northern Alberta

Hi Glen, welcome to RCC. Hope you enjoy the site.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Yuval K.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 99

Total Props: 7

Hi Glen,

Love the wheels on your frankenplane, lol looks awesome!

--- Freedom from Religion ---
"In Reason we Trust"
Yuvski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
RCC Noob
I am: Glen Stromquist
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9CHP
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by Yuvski View Post
Hi Glen,

Love the wheels on your frankenplane, lol looks awesome!

Thanks! I actually just had come 10" ones made up (those are 6"), and I sawed them in 1/2 so they are 1/2 the width, they will allow me to mount two of the cameras underneath, as well as give me the option for a rear facing cam. The Gopro's catch a tiny bit of the prop in that configuration if I keep them tilted up enough that the horizon is level. I eventually want to get a NEX5n so it wont be as much an issue.
Glenstr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.