Laminating Film Covering - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Evan J
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Laminating Film Covering

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was looking around a few forums for glider coverings and ran across people using laminating film as a covering. Anyone here use it very much? I'm thinking of ordering a roll of 1.2 mil and 3 mil for really lightweight glider and parkflyer covering. Is anyone else interested in any? The rolls I'm looking at come in 1000 ft for the 1.2 and 500ft for the 3 so I would have more than enough for a long time.
Azrie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5
Re: Laminating Film Covering

Check with Yuvski at Aerial Photography / video forum, he uses it on his projects: Scratch build 110" flying wing.....
Those guys use it a lot on bare foam. Check on his experiences. He was selling the cores and the covering at one time.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I can vouch for that.

It works great on foam and gets a nice finish!

Here is the post from a friend that found it:

Originally Posted by schnellschnell
Not sure if anyone else has a source, but after finding a US hobby site kindly offering to send me 20' shipped for ~$50 I decided to shop local.

Found a supplier that is selling me a 200'x25" roll of 5mil hot laminating film for $46.99 in Scarborough. They do have other thicknesses.

Call Amit at 416-285-7044 x225. Nice guy and easy to deal with. Usual 'trade' price was much higher but when I told him it was for hobby use he gave me a discount.

Otherwise I will soon have an excess of 5mil laminate if anyone needs...

RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2

It does work good. I got a roll of docu-lam that will last 4 lifetimes here. Can use it for anything, but in my laminator. Uses low heat to apply. Never thought of covering a foamie, until now.

Call around locally for a place that does laminating. They may sell, or better yet, give you some. As well, they may be able to get you a deal on the stuff too as they do use a fair bit of it.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

Couple of more goodies. Staples carries it under a brand name of OpMark. Come at 13.5 in. wide and 60 in. long. Last time I was in the dollar store they had some called P protector that comes at 17.7 in wide and 30 in. long for about a dollar or two. This unfinished Cutlass wings and rudders are covered with it. Stretches around the wingtips like Ultracote, with low heat. Gives it a nice tough skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutlass 008.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	149811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutlass big 005.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	149812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutlass 005.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	149813  
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Total Props: 1
Smile Re: Laminating Film Covering

I've been covering an EPP glider with this stuff, mostly 3 mil and a little bit of 5 mil on the leading edges. Like anything else, there's a bit of a learning curve but if you have experience with model coverings like monocote and ultracote and a little patience you should be OK. Others have stated that the correct temperature to set the iron is 230 F.

Low weights can be achieved by using this covering... I'll have to see how it stands up to pounding into the ground it will surely get at the local slope.

Last edited by B.Welwood; 05-01-2012 at 10:00 AM.
B.Welwood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.