Club Incorporation - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: Club Incorporation

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
At least two of the clubs I belong to are incorporated as not for profit corporations. Protects the directors from direct lawsuits. Let's face it if someone does something really dumb, outside of MAAC's guidelines, our insurer could say "you're on your own!" and the clubs directors could lose everything they own. This way the club (hopefully) will lose their bank account, but the directors will keep their homes.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

We incorporated. Ran into some issues on how people within the club interprete not for profit. A member was designing and building planes and then selling them. This was considered to be against the not for profit of the club? Turned into a ball of @#$% and the member was terminated when they refused to stop what they were doing.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Not sure, but one of the things that MAAC insurance doesn't cover is liability on the part of the Executive. Another is that various organizations want to have a corporation (a full legal entity, rather than a simple association) on the other side of any agreements or contracts.

Going for Trillium Grants from the Ontario Government is one where being incorporated is a requirement.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Oh good grief! Here we go again! Pulling our heads back into our shells like a bunch of paranoid turtles. The "what if" monster rears it's ugly head again & we all scramble for cover! Shall we all sell everthing we enjoy & stand around in our houses looking out at the world just in case?

The lawyers & insurance companies squeek & we all go running off the cliff like lemmings!

No! I'm not directing this at you Dave or Todd or anyone else on this forum, I'm just fed to the back teeth with all this male bovine rectal excretion we all seem to get swept up in! It seems like every where you turn nowdays someone is on this tangent.

My opinion is that you just can't put everyone in a prison just for the sake of one or two "wingnuts" that are at large!

Ok! I'm done now! Sorry in advance if I have offended any one! Got it off my chest, feel better now - medication please dear?

Just ignore me - ok? Thanks!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Marc M
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

hi our club was incorporated last spring , and we did it through the City hall , they took care of all the mombo jumbo and it cost us under 400.00 .Check with your town if there isn't any help you can get for non lucritive clubs and affiliations.
VE1MAM (hamradiocallsign)
MAAC 80656
1 Nobbler 51''
ve1mam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

Our club incorpoated primarily so that we could gain access to grants. In Ontario, almost all grants are restricted to non profit organizations. The proof they require is your incorporation number.
Some members, who run their own business, would not stand for office in our club unless we incorporated because of the liability concerns.
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20

Hi Guys;

I am with Old Prairie Redneck a bit. We can't go thru life paranoid about being sued. If that were the case we should never drive our cars. This is supposed to be a fun hobby.

Not sure how the non profit charters work, but I know for a fact that directors and officers of private corporations are personally fully responsible for any liabilities of the corporation. The laws were changed a number of years ago.

FYI our club is incorporated. Like others have said, today probably the best reason for incorporation if you plan to apply for a Trillium grant in the future.

Best thing to do is make sure you have MAAC and follow the safety rules. In the event of an accident, the lawyers, the courts and the insurance companies are going to duke it out and you and I don't have any say anyway!
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I personally think having to go this far for a hobby is retarded. However some members/executive are asking about it so someone has to start the ball rolling by looking into it.
Some of the posts have good info to look further into, thanks for the tips! I'll try to keep the thread updated as we progress, whichever direction we take, in case the info will be of use to another club with the same questions.
Have FUN!!!!!!! (and for god sakes, be safe!!)
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #19

Originally Posted by JKovats View Post
Like others have said, today probably the best reason for incorporation if you plan to apply for a Trillium grant in the future.
Here is a classic issue of whats wrong in this country, NOT payin' your own way!

Perhaps if you can't cut it on your own, you shouldn't be doing it.

Each Province has their own version of "Incorporation" laws. Annual returns to the Corporations branch aren't usually a big deal if the structure (Board of Directors and shareholders) doesn't change. If it does, be prepared for all the headaches associated with it.

One of the wisest things I ever heard was from a guy who'd set up a small family corperation. He said, "it took five minutes to initiate the whole thing, we probably won't live long enough to get out of it". He was right, he died and the Company still wasn't disolved 30 years later.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 04-28-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #20

Incorporation is much like insurance. What it creates is an additional layer of protection.

The current climate in lawsuits is that everyone gets sued, even the innocent and peripherally-involved. It's not about right and wrong, but who's got the best defense and deeper pockets.

Case in point: I was rear-ended by someone who was pushed into me (chain-reaction collision.) The person who caused the accient fled the scene and then claimed that their vehicle had been stolen. The people in the middle car got a personal-injuries lawyer, and I got a letter of intent to sue for injuries received.

Most clubs can get by without incorporating. It's when you start dealing with groups that insist on only dealing with corporations that you should consider it.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 04-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.