Ground-looping on pavement/concrete - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Re: Ground-looping on pavement/concrete

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I flew off of pavement for five years. Full up elevator and full throttle usually results in a premature takeoff and snap roll back to the hard top, not a pretty sight. The trick is to get enough airspeed so the rudder becomes effective. Slow application of throttle is the key. Toe out is a must. A larger than usual tail wheel helps.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Strait ahead or a little toe in. Toe out causes the gear to wander and that turns into a ground loop. Also a little toe out on a hard landing causes the wheels to become even more toe out in a hurry. IMO
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #23
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

As mentioned on my Harvard build thread the first flight session was nearly disastrous. This was my first retract set installed and to aid the rather unusual orientation I opted for 0 degree toe in. Bad idea.

The plane looked like a drunken sailor and only full up elevator gave even some modicum of directional control. That recipe was exactly as kip51305 described, with the sudden, high alpha takeoff causing it to snap over on one wing, then the next. Barely got it back.

It sat for the winter while other projects came to the fore and it was only last Sunday I was able to try out the new arrangement. Slight toe in and a spring tailwheel to absorb any bounce. You can see from the vid takeoffs now are a non-issue. What cannot be seen is the slight crosswind that normally would have added to the difficulty. BORING!

I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #24
RCC Contributor
I am: grant

Total Props: 1

hand lauch em.. prob solved
happy flying

Last edited by juice90; 05-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.
juice90 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.