Brush vs Brushless motors - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Kat
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2
Brush vs Brushless motors

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, I've been out on the field watching some flying and have been hearing the guys debating about brush vs brushless motors and how one or the other was better for performance, maintenance, etc. I have to admit I'm at a loss at what this means and surprisingly, no one was able to explain exactly what it means and "google" doesn't seem to provide an answer for once.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two??
rckmc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Charles

Total Props: 4
Thumbs up Re: Brush vs Brushless motors

Go brushless, way more efficient & much more power. Brushless motors have no brushes to wear out. They will last a lot longer too, unless you smoke them which is pretty hard to do. Buy the most expensive motor you can afford, it pays off in the end. Scorpion motors are very good & not overly expensive. With the HK stuff you get what you pay for, ask me how I know. Good luck.
Charles L
MAAC #19504
"Take Off Eh!"
Redbaron is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Brush vs Brushless motors

In general, I'd say brushless is better. As stated they are more efficient and less maintenance but more expensive and you'll need to switch to a brushless esc as well.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

Can anyone explain the difference between the two??
here is a link to a site that explains it pretty well.

note that this info is talking about rc car/truck motors but is exactly the same for planes/helis.

note also this info refers to brushless outrunner motors where the motor can with attached magnets spin with the prop shaft. inrunner brushless, while brushless, have a similar structure as brushed motors where only the armature spins inside the can.

outrunner motors because of the centrifigal force of the spinning can and heavy magnets can spin much larger props than inrunners.

the link:
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Brushed motors are in the low 50 percentile in efficiency, while brushless are on average for every one I checked in the low 80 percentile.

Brushless is definitely the way to go as you get to utilize more of the stored energy in the battery. However, no change happens without affecting other parts of the system. First, as waylander noted the ESC is completely different and will need to be changed along with the motor.

As for inrunner and outrunner, the difference in torque to swing larger props on outrunners is not due to the mass of the magnets and case, but from the fact the force is applied further out from the shaft axis. This gives more turning force but sacrifices max RPM. Inrunners have much higher RPM capability but sacrifice torque. Each application will require some checking as to which would work best. Check for previous conversions for your particular app and likely someone will already have some experience and recommendations. That goes to optimum gearing as well as brushless motors require good setups for that optimum efficiency.

As stated, brushless motors are far more efficient than their brushed predecessors. However, they have what is called a "Sweet Spot" RPM/V and if lugged down with improper gearing or excessive load then the efficiency falls off rapidly. This is easy to check as the motor will be too hot to touch at the end of a run, (the extra current not going to work for you is dumped as heat).

Also as stated nothing happens alone. Along with the ESC you have to consider every other component of the power system. The battery and connectors are also part of the system. The fact you can now make better use of the power may also mean you can draw more current. If the battery cannot supply the current demand or the connectors are not rated, then you could have problems, (the brushed motor would likely not be able to draw anywhere near the same current and the stock connectors may not be adequate for the higher demand). You always consider the max capacity of a system by the lowest rated component in that system.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
RCC Apprentice
I am: Kat
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2

@Astroflyer, thanks for the link, that helps a lot!

@Cougar429, interesting about sweet spot re: force vs rpm.

Thanks all!
rckmc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 1

Here are two good videos (mind you the guy's accent is hard to understand from time to time...) but it shows you how the motors are built, and how they work. Also, what everyone said above is true - brushless is the way to go... but if you have a plane (supercub for example) that comes with brushed, no need to upgrade until you have to. Taken care of, brushed motors can last a long time...

I feel the need, the need for speed!
photecs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Originally Posted by photecs View Post
Here are two good videos (mind you the guy's accent is hard to understand from time to time...)
click on CC (closed caption) button at bottom of video

or this
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.