Helping 7 year old with heli - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 4
Helping 7 year old with heli

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Several weeks ago 7 year old gentleman approached me to assist him in flying his Christmas present - a small electric helicopter - probably bought from one of the chain-stores.

Anyone with experience with these helis?

Best approach to be taken to increase chances of success??

Should I lend him my SIM?

Or should I just avoid the youngster until he's at least 14, at which time he may have no desire to fly?

tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
Re: Helping 7 year old with heli

From my experience, your mileage may vary:

I guess the answer depends on what his heli is.

1. Is the thing reasonably controllable?

2. Can you get parts for it?

My 7 yr old is quite capable of flying the LiteHawk:

It's easy to find through many retailers, "The Source" first comes to mind.

About $40 and parts are readily available, as it's supported by Borgfeldt in Canada.

If what he has is flyable, run it until it's useless and then:

1. If it's Litehawk fix it, or

2. Toss it and get him a Litehawk.

P.S. Your Sim is not going to be much help for teaching him this type of heli due to the horizontally mounted tail rotor.

Tip: invest in the USB charger, charging off of the TX is a waste of time and batteries.

Earl "narly1" Anderson
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Midnight Heli
RCC Contributor
I am: Andre S.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

Like said before, it all depends on what he has. If it is a small 2 or 3 channels coaxial, show him the basic and to turn power off if crashing and let him fly. All simulators are for 4 channels and more so it will be useless for now. But note.. if he gets the bug and want to go to 4 channels heli he will have to restart his learning curve to hover since the right stick move forward and back and also rotates the heli on its axis (rudder), while on the 4+ channels, in mode 2, will make the heli move forward and back and side to side, while rudder and power is done with the left stick (like all the big helis).
But if you want to be safe, the only danger with those small (toy) heli is to the eyes, so make him wear glasses and cover up any LCD or plasma TV with a heavy cloth to protect from any accidental scraches to the screen by the turning blades.
Good luck and happy flying
MAAC # 84893
Midnight Heli is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 4

Thank you Earl and Andre; never had experience with these low end toys. The information is helpful. I'll inform the adult overseeing this activity of my findings.
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.