Need some help Charging lipos - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Max Xu

Total Props: 3
Re: Need some help Charging lipos

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
New to LiPos. Please explain to me what the detriments are in storing batteries fully charged? One of the advantages (as told to me) is that LiPos do not self discharge and will hold their charge over long periods. This storing at half/third charge defeats the "instantly available" feature that seems to be one of the advantages of this type of battery.
According Mr. Lucien Miller, the electric engineering guru in the RC world, the chemical substance is in a high energy and unstable state when a lipo pack is fully charged. The electrons have a strong tendency to flow but are being held back until a loop is formed.

I imagine this will cause some fatigue and thus have a greater potential to damage the battery?

Anyway, my experience seems to suggest fully-charged state is not that detrimental to lipo batteries, while overcharge and over-discharge are. Overcharging is dangerous and can cause explosion/fire. That's why using an accurate charger is very important. When you buy chargers, you can give up bells and whistles but not the cut-off voltage accuracy. High-end chargers allow you to set your own cut-off voltage. It may be a good idea to set your cut-off voltage to a little lower than 4.20v, to give some room for errors caused by inaccuracy of the charger. To fly 15 seconds less each flight is not such a big price to pay for longer battery life and better safety. Over-discharging is also a big no-no. It can easily kill your battery and make it totally unusable.

With a little care, I think even a cheap battery can power hundrends of flights.
Max Xu
Goldwing Yak55sp
TECHone Piaget
TECHone EDF Rafale
ARF 50E Extra 260
DualSky Mini Breeze Pro
Skywing MXS
Skywing Extra 300L
Red Eagle Happy
MAAC: 82801
maxx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.