RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ali
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been flying RC helis for about a year now and now want to get into RC planes as well.

Most people recommend a high wing plane. Can u start with a low wing plane? If not, why not? Pros/cons?

canadien007 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ali
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Re: Beginner

canadien007 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

High wing trainers are recommended for those pretty green to RC aviation because they self right, don't fly too fast, and they don't tip stall. All things that will make it nice and easy for the rank newbie to get on a buddy box with an instructor and ensure success.

imo depending on how comfy you are with helicopters, then you might want to just skip over the high wing stuff and go straight for a low wing. They don't self right which means they'll just do what you tell them to. That can be good or bad depending on the person. I'd refer you to this thread:

I was a bit nervous jumping too high myself, but I've been having a BLAST with a GS plane that I picked up from the get-go. I still have it, and it hasn't taken any dirt naps.

Now that said I'd been flying helis quite comfortably in all orientations for 4 years at that point. The experience translated over nicely for the most part. Landing IS different, and will take a while to get the hang of, but take your time and have help and you'll likely do fine.

This all assumes that you're at least already into forward flight and can handle the heli COMFORTABLY in all orientations. If that's not the case, then high wing might be the way to go.

No matter what you decide to go with I'd suggest getting on a buddy box with a guy that flies the type of plane you're looking at. At least for the first couple of flights just so you can assess yourself before getting yourself into trouble you can't get out of.

All just my opinion of course
uʍop ǝpısdn ʇı op sʎnƃ ılǝɥ
rotormonkey13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Sebastian
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 12

Supercub lp

hayabusafmw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
RCC Apprentice
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

super cubs are a good choice but i would recommend a trojan, most of the heli guys here in kelowna have skipped the rank beginner plane and gone to one of them or something similar.
furballll is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Hobbyzone stratos is an incredible beginner plane.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: Al H.
Radio of choice:
N/A I don't know
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

I started flying micro sized foamies last year, and started flying glo this summer. I have to say, i have heli experience, sim experience and had micro foamie experience. BUT, i was not ready for a low wing for the first few flights. I crashed a rather nice large P-51 glo plane straight away. All the sim experience didn't help for what happens in "real life" lol. I picked up a used hight wing kadet lt-40 and the rest is history. You'll grow out of the high wing very quickly mind you but if you want to land and takeoff a low wing sport plane, the experience you get from the high wing will save you some cash in the long run. i fly a great planes escapade now and it's amazing, but i would not have been able to handle it on my first flight without the high wing training. Food for thought. I say buy a used trainer, slap a OS 46 on it, then once you're bored, put all the electronics into a low cost sport plane and have a blast!!!
woodstock is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.