Engines Discuss engines

Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Chris
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Saito FA-72B question.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi. I have a brand new Saito 72 and I have moved the low speed needle during a blonde moment.....not realizing that Saito has it preset from the factory for initial break-in. Does anyone here know how many turns open the low speed needle should be from the full closed position for the initial run in of the engine? Thanks for your help!

HeliFarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Wayne Pinke
Radio of choice:
Futaba & Hitec

Total Props: 5
Smile Re: Saito FA-72B question.

Hi Chris:
I got this info from the website shown below and confirmed this info from the manual on p.10 that says the "factory setting" has the head of the idle speed needle flush with the surface of the (plastic) throttle arm housing. Checking one of my Saito 72's that's in several pieces right now, I counted about 3 1/2 turns out. The head of the needle was slightly "below flush" because this motor was run several times and had the idle set to be fairly reliable after being "broken in" at the time.

"It is standard practice to start the engine with the throttle opened just above idle, or up to 1/4 throttle. At low throttle the high-speed mixture needle has almost no effect; the low-speed needle almost totally controls the fuel mixture seen by the engine. If the low-speed needle is turned in too far (too lean) the engine will start on a prime but not continue running. Try resetting the low-speed brass needle with its top flush with the housing as explained elsewhere on this web site." ---- (see the link shown above).

Hope this info helps. As the motor gets more run time and gets "broken in", the high speed needle will probably be re-adjusted, which can affect the setting for the idle speed needle requiring it to be adjusted slightly.
Wayne Pinke
MAAC #8730
Sun Parlor RC Flyers (Windsor, Ont)
waynepinke is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Re: Saito FA-72B question.

join club Saito on RCG

Recommended: velocity stack and foam air filter to keep it from spitting out the carb so much, I'll look up the part numbers.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Close the throttle on a small "T" pin then blow through the carb fuel inlet and adjust the low speed needle so you can just hear the air in the carb. That will be a good place to start. To adjust the high speed, open the throttle and blow in the carb fuel inlet and adjust the high speed so the quantity of air is almost cut in half. Again a good place to start.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Chris
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

Thanks guys! And Wayne, I don't know how I missed that info in my manual. You are correct, everything is right there on page 10.....
HeliFarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.