Please help me decide...narrowed it down. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Kelly W
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 5
Re: Please help me decide...narrowed it down.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

Kevin's right. I flew mine on a PST-600R (14.5lb thrust, 0.5 @ idle) and it kind flew a bit like a surfboard. It flew around nicely one you had some speed built up, but anything vertical would decelerate very quickly and it would take some time to get going again. That engine was in the plane for ~5 flights.

I moved on to a P-70 and it seemed about right. I had to replace the pipe as the stock pipe is clearly designed for smaller outlet turbines. I don't know what the risk level is, and how far you can go with smaller pipes, but I don't know that I would risk it. I just called Tam and had a pipe a week later...

I know an American pilot that flew your version for a while, then sold it. If its on tailerons and no control surfaces on the wings, it may feel a bit weird for the first few flights. That's what i was told anyway. Otherwise, the flight performance should be pretty close to mine if the weight is kept down.

For Power, I would be tempted to use a P-100, but that's partially because I now have 2 jetcats and I consider their electronics to be the best. I'm a big fan of Gaspar's stuff as well, so the other fadec controlled turbines aren't really discounted in my book, but I'm just comfortable with the systems I'm running now. If you choose anything above 70N, be careful with the throttle stick, in terms of flight loads and a limited fuel capacity...

That being said, a P-70 is probably optimum, in that its enough thrust, but not too much. These jets are purposely designed to fit smaller turbines, as to limit the flight conditions that they will need to put up with. My version had a few reports of the carbon tube spars snapping, and a number of people filled them up with a carbon shaft with Hysol. ( you might want to check this...)

On the K-80, I've seen a few fly. I don't know the numbers, but the flight I've seen tend to indicate a higher residual thrust, so I don't know that i would go that route.

Kelly Williams - 59082L
MAAC Jet Committee Chairman
JPO Member , 2L club member
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2
Re: Please help me decide...narrowed it down.

Thanks Kelly. I've flown a number of taileron only models now and feel relatively comfortable with the difference in feeling. I'm leaning towards the P-100 as it seems that turbine has a very low residual thrust rating. I think I would dial it down to conserve fuel and set it within the range you mentioned. All I care about is an easy landing plane so I can get some true time under my belt.
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.