Ziroli vs. Don Smith vs. Reeves Kits - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

Total Props: 0
Ziroli vs. Don Smith vs. Reeves Kits

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all, not much action in the Construction forum, so I thought I would move this question over here......

I'm wondering if any of you could share your experiences with the Ziroli, the Don Smith, or the Mick Reeves giant scale kits as a direct comparison (apart from the obvious size differences of course). I am looking at one of the 100" or larger Corsairs or Spitfires....

I'm looking to learn more about the ease or complexity of build, accuracy of parts fit, end product fit and finish, fit of Robart retracts or other, etc.? Anything else I should know to make my decision?

Thanks to all in advance.
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 58
Re: Ziroli vs. Don Smith vs. Reeves Kits

Ahhh... Would love a 100" Corsair for the Moki 150 !!!
Visit my website:www.bbtbuildservices.blogspot.com

Sponsored By:
ThunderBolt R/C www.thunderboltrc.com
Hot Wire Foam Factory www.hotwirefoamfactory.com/
B&E Graphix http://www.bandegraphix.com/
Carden Aircraft www.carden-aircraft.com
AirMan Wheels www.airmanwheels.com/
Pro R/C www.pro-rc.ca/
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Dennis H
Radio of choice:
JR9303 2.4
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

If your going to do a Spit, the mick reeves is the one to go with.
Funfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Only if you're building a kit, or somehow get the old Reeves plans, that have all the templates on them. Mick got smart, and his new plans don't have the templates, so you'd have to purchase his short kit. I've spoken with him, great guy to deal with, least as far as I'm concerned. I've been asking about the various Spits out there, as do a lot of short kits for giant scale. I've had people tell me that Don Smith plans are horrible, but I've been told the same about Mick Reeves stuff! I've built the Don Smith 1/4 Spit, and I had zero problems. I've got his giant scale mosquito plans, and people have said the engine nacelles are in line with the wings, not the ground, so the wheels would be all splayed out, etc, yet the plans I have, are perfectly fine.

There's also the Ziroli Spit to consider. I've cut kits for a few Ziroli Plans, most recently the B-25, and the P-38, and I love the plans, and the building methods that he uses. All depends on your skill, patience, determination, and willingness to do your homework!

I've got a giant scale Corsair set of plans, I really need to take a look, and see which ones they are, as I might cut some short kits for that, later in the year. But you can PM me, if you want more info, thoughts, etc. I've got the Mick Reeves old plans, and the Don Smith Spit plans, so can compare things between the two, and hopefully assist you with any questions you might have! The most important thing, Build!!!!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice
I am: E Boys

Total Props: 0

My son, Mackenzie, is 7/8 completed the reeves 1/4 scale spit all wood version, short kit, in our basement. I have been there for the questions for him and the engine cooling challenge.
Have also built Ziroli Corsair with my brother from the plans +10 years ago. 7/10 for plans, 9/10 for scale, flying 10/10 Still flying!

Reeves spit from short kit - the plans get 1/10, wood quality 7/10, intent for scale 10/10 - can't wait to see it leave the ground. Servos and engine installed, just finishing.

Conclusion at the glassing stage. What a scale ship! If you have scratch built big ships and can fill in the blanks from past experience it is not that bad to construct. 1 - 1/2 years from open box to on it's wheels. Biggest challenge was realizing the plans are for referance not constuction. Had to custom build all the jigs for the wing and fuse as plans are out as much as 2" for reference points.
Volks123 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Thanks for the info, and pretty much what I expected, I have the Reeves Hurricane Short kit, although I'd so far rate the wood as 10/10, the plans are sparse, to be sure, fortunately I have a ton of documentation, and some other plans. I'm sticking with the Don Smith 1/4 Spit, I've got one display model almost complete, and had no problems at all with it, and fully expect the flying models to be the same.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.