Not As Much Joy in Flying This Year - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: John H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Unhappy Not As Much Joy in Flying This Year

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, halfway through the season and just not into it as much this year. I finally figured it out and I think the reason is that I have flying nothing but ARF's. I get no joy from flying someone elses creations.
When someone asks me what I like to do for fun, the standard response is building AND flying model airplanes. I forgot about the building this past winter, at least i think this is the reason.. Anyone else feel their excitement wane at times?
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Craig D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Re: Not As Much Joy in Flying This Year

I can relate to this. Didn't fly at all last year. Just wasn't interested or too busy I guess. Been flying 20 years and I have had a couple of years that never turned a prop.
If you can`t fly it or train it. Just truck it!
MAAC 47374
trainfan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

We had an absolutely abysmal 2011 season with a total of 7 flying sessions for the entire year. Winds were consistently way above comfort level and the rest of the time the fields were flooded.

Arfs are fun in some respects, but nothing beats starting with a pile of small bits and taking it to the field for a successful first flight.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Glenn Nigh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

I agree with the not having as much fun, pianodude.
In my case eye surgery has been in the way. I have over 20 airplanes ready to fly, most of them airplanes I have built but the heat or wind along with the surgery has spoiled my summer so far. The second eye will be done next Wed and more drops for 4 weeks and then wait for new glasses down the road. I hope it will be worth it all in the end. I did get out today but was uncomfortable in the air. Nice day, an great to visit the club members again! I would like to get out to your field and give you a chance to fly the 60" Fleet Canuck" some time.
Cheers Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Dude, I have gtotal sympathy for your situation, having crashed out the year before last and then not really having anythign completed orhaving the time to get out to the field.

My suggestion is to pick up simple traditional design like an Ugly Stick or Super Sportster, or buy a kit like the Kougar. Go for KISS and quick build rather than super-perfect and go any dly holes in the sky. My next project is along those lines -- I've got an interpretation of the Joe Murray (Unionville Hobbies) Club Cricket from when I first got into the hobby. Hardest part of the build for me will be doing the ribs.... I suck at detailed wood cutting.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

I've got it to this year John. In my case I think it's because the summer months are so busy with work and outdoor jobs that when you do find a moment to go you just don't feel like loading everything up.
I have let my house and property go into decline that last couple of years because of putting the hobby first. That's a no no to be sure....all of a sudden there's a stack of serious projects that must be done.

A fine balance seems to be hard to accomplish.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

Same dilemma for me too....just have not had the time and when I did find a little time, I just can't find the energy. I have only been out about 5 times this year. It has been a combination of things for me.....surgury early in the spring, lots and lots of yard work, house renos and work to pay the bills.

On a lighter note, I just started mentoring a young fellow from town that bought a HZ SuperCub and it is great to get out with him and watch his excitement as he flys on the buddy box. Maybe that will spark the urge to get out more from now on again!

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Can't say that the weather in the summer really restricts my flying addiction and I carry my alula with me during the work week. Rainy, um I mean family togetherness days being the exception.
But I would like to spend time building a nice vintage scale sailplane kit . Lack of dedicated space for building is my problem. Hopefully that will change soon.
Soaring Free Outside The Box

Last edited by DHansen; 07-12-2012 at 12:29 AM.
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Sure is nice to read the support for bulding . ARF,s are OK , but , the repect for a built aircraft has a lot more meaning . I was in this possition a couple of years ago . I was so caught up in helpng other crashed planes , I left no time for myself .

My better half put her foot down ,........................ that worked

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4

I think you need a balance with this hobby (like everything else in life). I fly alternating weekends and go to the cottage when not flying. I feel I enjoy both more by not doing the same thing every weekend. We're leaving tonight to go to the cottage and will go boating on Friday and Saturday and horseback riding on Sunday(first time for me). I'm excited to go.

I keep only a couple of planes (currently a 30cc and a 50cc) because I feel like I NEED to go flying more if I have more airplanes just to justify having them.

When you let other things go (ex: house, family time, etc) to go flying you have more guilt than fun.

Balance my friend...the key to a happy life (IMHO)
Dave V.
Burlington Radio Control Modelers
Team Skycraft
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.