Want to fly Multis for Commercial Purposes? READ THIS - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #51
navycut81
RCC Apprentice

I am: That Guy
Radio of choice:
futaba 10j w/ dragonlink
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Re: Want to fly Multis for Commercial Purposes? READ THIS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
you are correct about the ground school, but I do recommend attending atleast a course pertaining to UAV's so you can "clearly understand" the rules and regulations regarding safe and legal commercial use of a UAV in Canada. As far as TC is concerned there is a distinct difference in the operating capabilities of a UAV in comparison to that of a manned aircraft. For example. your not going to fly your plane below 100 feet to take pictures unless your on approach or departure. You could yes. But lets be real your probably not going to put your pilots license at risk doing that for a picture? So thus, that is why TC put the exemption in place for people wanting to work commercially with a UAV.
If you don't want to follow TC guidelines for flying legally commercially then just don't sell any photos. Feel free to fly wherever you would like recreationally but you cant make any money off it. Plain and simple. You can but you'll only make enough money to cover your phantom if you loose it your not going to get rich, and you'll always run the risk of TC mailing you a nice fine in the mail. Its your call, doesn't matter to me either way.

Im just trying to inform anyone who reads this forum of the rules that TC has put into place to operate a UAV commercially here in Canada.

To be completely honest I could care less what you do legally, illegally or otherwise, But if you ever want to earn money off of UAV's here in Canada it can only be done with an SFOC in place and dealing with big industry, any company that is willing to pay a decent amount of money or signs to a long term contract knows the laws and regulations that TC has in place. For example look at this company from the UK http://www.thecyberhawk.com or this company here in Ottawa http://ingrobotic.com/ and you tell me whos going to get the real money jobs. CyberHawk, ING Robotics or a guy with an under 2kg UAV (most likely a phantom) and a pilots license.

I'm Not trying to bust your bubble but theres no money in real estate or flying under the exemption unless you luck out into a good forestry contract or maybe a open pit mining company that's willing to give a little guy a kick at the bucket

Last edited by navycut81; 06-09-2015 at 12:37 AM.
navycut81 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 AM   #52
hs748
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jarrett S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 5

You're sure making a lot of assumptions?
hs748 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 AM   #53
navycut81
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
futaba 10j w/ dragonlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs748 View Post
You're sure making a lot of assumptions?
????? really what assumptions am I making????
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #54
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

Navy cut well argued, makes sense.

The only assumption I see here is that small quad imaging is not very useful. In fact it is probably the small quads that will find the most new uses going forward, especially as their capability is advancing amazingly fast and they present drastically less safety risk which opens up more places to use them.

But the flip side is ... the small imaging quads are cheap. Anyone can buy one, and they sell them by the hundreds of thousands. So no barrier to entry to that market, and thus there is too much competition. Thus very little money to be made. Although with the toughening TC rules, that does help eliminate the fly by nighters somewhat.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #55
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
Navy cut well argued, makes sense.

The only assumption I see here is that small quad imaging is not very useful. In fact it is probably the small quads that will find the most new uses going forward, especially as their capability is advancing amazingly fast and they present drastically less safety risk which opens up more places to use them.

But the flip side is ... the small imaging quads are cheap. Anyone can buy one, and they sell them by the hundreds of thousands. So no barrier to entry to that market, and thus there is too much competition. Thus very little money to be made. Although with the toughening TC rules, that does help eliminate the fly by nighters somewhat.
Plexidrone, out of Toronto is about to release their quad and X8. They are setting it up with TC for SFOC. All the technical data about the multi will be handled by Plexidrone. You submit the job to them and they will fill out the paperwork and send it in for approval or not. I think this is a step forward for commercial ops. Having the manufacturer supply all the data to TC is a great idea. It may speed up the process. All you need is insurance and a policy#.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #56
navycut81
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
futaba 10j w/ dragonlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffythesaint View Post
Plexidrone, out of Toronto is about to release their quad and X8. They are setting it up with TC for SFOC. All the technical data about the multi will be handled by Plexidrone. You submit the job to them and they will fill out the paperwork and send it in for approval or not. I think this is a step forward for commercial ops. Having the manufacturer supply all the data to TC is a great idea. It may speed up the process. All you need is insurance and a policy#.

DJI can make that same claim aside from applying on ones behalf.

DJI has successfully obtained multiple Special Flight Operating Certificates (SFOC), necessary for commercial flying by customers using DJI products.

Its called marketing 101 and plexidrones is trying to distinguish themselves from the competition by taking advantage of uninformed prospective future customers. Kudos to them for trying LOL. But it all depends on how much paperwork they are going to do on the customers behalf.

DJI posts there technical specs on there wiki page and as of me typing this message TC accepts those extremely vague specs as good enough Its crazy I know.

But I do have a couple questions about how much information they will be preparing on ones behalf aside from just providing the technical specs??? Do they supply you with a generic operations manual. Do they prepare a Safety Management System?? I doubt it. Do they tailor a risk matrix based on the individuals flying skills and capability. there is literally hundreds of things one has to prepare to ever even get considered for an SFOC. Just review the staff instructions for whats required for an SFOC application approval. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...-uav-4161.html

They very well might just do all the leg work for a customer but it would be very fool hearted to believe your not going to have to pay a premium for that service.
But that's just my 2 cents

Last edited by navycut81; 06-11-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #57
navycut81
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
futaba 10j w/ dragonlink

Here is the basic requirements, I really doubt plexidrones will do all this on a customers behalf unless paid accordingly.

1.In order to apply for an SFOC, Certificate applicants will be required to create and submit an application in accordance with this SI. Prior to submitting an SFOC application the applicant is expected to assess the risks involved with the proposed operation and include appropriate mitigation measures as part of the application.

2.For each type and purpose of operation, the UAV operator should develop detailed plans to mitigate the risks of: collision with other aircraft and persons and property on the ground, impacts of inclement weather/icing, lost link scenarios, diversions or flight termination. a.The Certificate applicant's risk management process should be similar to a Safety Management System (SMS) based risk assessment methodology and the TC Civil Aviation Integrated Risk Management Framework (Canadian Aviation Document QUA- 007).

3.When a Certificate applicant's submission has been reviewed and it is determined that the requirements of the Standards have been met, an SFOC is prepared for the signature of the Regional, Technical Team Lead or other duly authorized individual.

4.Operating conditions vary depending on aircraft performance capabilities, equipment on the UAV (e.g. payload), mission requirements, operating environment, complexity of the operation etc. Some conditions are essential to all operations and others may or may not apply. Mandatory conditions required of each SFOC are included in Appendix G through J. Additionally, a list of optional conditions is provided that may be imposed depending on the nature of the operation. There may also be a need to impose further conditions that have not been considered herein. In this case, please advise the General Flight Standards Office at HQ who will keep track of the new conditions for a future SI edition.

5.If a foreign Certificate applicant is not legally eligible to conduct UAV operations in the State of Registry, they will not be eligible to apply for an SFOC to conduct such operations in Canada. An exception would be that such a Certificate applicant may be eligible to conduct research and development operations in Canada under an SFOC issued for operations within an established UAV test area.

6.Some existing restrictions or prohibitions on UAV flights are not intended to be permanent. As experience is gained in UAV operations and UAV system technology evolves, some of these conditions/restrictions may be revisited.

this is just a very small list of some of the requirments for KEEPING an SFOC after you get one.

1.Based on the complexity of the UAV operation, the types of manuals and the content therein will vary. The types of documentation a UAV operator would be expected to maintain could include, but are not limited to, operations manuals, maintenance manuals, UAV system flight manuals (for each type of UAV being operated), aircraft checklists, SOPs, etc. The type of SFOC application process being used (see section 7.2 of this SI) will determine the actual documentation requirements and the level of detail contained in these documents.

2.The UAV operator shall provide checklists and placards that enable the pilot to operate the UAV system in accordance with the UAV system flight manual, pilot operating handbook or other equivalent document.

3.UAV operators shall maintain records of their flight operations to include the following information:
a.Flight records (location, date, times, crew, aircraft type, etc.);

b.Total flight hours accumulated per aircraft (where the SFOC contains a condition regarding maintenance requirements); and

c.Pilot(s) flight hours (day, month, year).
Old 06-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #58
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

Plexidrone has already had a SFOC approval for the first prototype, last year.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #59
navycut81
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
futaba 10j w/ dragonlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffythesaint View Post
Plexidrone has already had a SFOC approval for the first prototype, last year.

LOL your missing my point DJI, Aeryon along with a couple others have SFOC approved UAV's for a few years now, what point are you trying to make?? I might be missing something.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #60
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycut81 View Post
LOL your missing my point DJI, Aeryon along with a couple others have SFOC approved UAV's for a few years now, what point are you trying to make?? I might be missing something.
Your saying you need to have all this stuff for approval, and plexidrone has had an SFOC approval, therefore they must have met all the requirements for approval. So they have it all ready for a client. The client fills out the info for the job, what ever is required by TC, and then wait for approval or not. Plexidrone is Canadian and they want to be a responsible manufacturer of UAV's, follow TC rules and regs. They will have no fly zones and limit the height to 400ft. I can't think of anyone else that limits their product to 400ft altitude. You can set it to 400 ft in others, like DJI, MK, but you still can go above 400ft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.