Any advise for mcpx tailboom? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jay Dub
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Any advise for mcpx tailboom?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I have the stock mcpx tailboom but I noticed that it started to twist while in flight, so that the blade would be at an awkward angle. I would keep correcting this only to find it keep happening. I pulled the tailboom out of the mainframe and found that it was split, as such it was not properly secure and was quite loose.
Today I go to the LHS which only happens to carry the Blade branded parts and so I bought the same tailboom as stock. Now I took it in the air today and did not crash at all, and it seemed pretty firm, but I did notice it still twisting a bit. Then one more mosquito bit me (I can only handle 100 bites before losing my cool) and so I took my hands off the control to swat the bugger and I had a *small* crash. I noticed the tailboom was a little twisted so I twisted it back into place, noticed it was kind of loose, pulled it out and found out it was cracked... this thing cost me $15 so I am not looking to buy another, I want a better quality one. That said, where should I go and buy one, and which one should I get? And aluminum tailboom? something else?

Also, do you think the tail boom gets cracked because of crashing, or is it entirely possible to crack it by simply trying to twist it back in place?
Nysik is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jay Dub
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

Re: Any advise for mcpx tailboom?

Oh, and I forgot to add:

Is it a good idea to apply some loctite onto the tailboom before putting it in the mainframe? I imagine that a crash tailboom first would = instant shatter but I don't expect to be crashing in that manner very often at all... are there any other downfalls in doing this or is it maybe a good idea?
Nysik is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12

Hobby shops have carbon rods that com in 2-3' lengths. I upgraded to the 3mm and cut mine to length. Usually adding 20-25mm to the length for more control. Stock is 2mm I think. You will need to crush the stock boom to get the wires out. Wrapping them around the new boom before you push it into the frame.
Trex 700E V2 DFC upgrade w/Demon 3sx
Trex 600E Pro w/Ar7200bx and KDE 530kv on 12s
Trex 450 Sport V2 w/2010kv Scorpion 6s, Dx7s
Blade 130X
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

I agree with craneman I have version one and i added the solid carbon rod for the tail boom about 15 crashes ago and still no sign of breakage. I used a small amout of CA to hold me carbon rod in place so itwould not twist when flying.
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Don N

Total Props: 3

I've also made my own out of solid CF rod. Horizon does make an extended boom assembly which comes with a solid CF boom for about $15 if you don't want to cut your own.
gothicbunny is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice
I am: Darren E
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 1

DO NOT add has a chemical reaction to plastic and WILL make it brittle and practically disintegrate. A tiny drop of CA will do the trick. Had the same problem with my MSR, but it's fine now. Good luck with yours.
dearle2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

I would go with the L version made by Blade. It is a solid boom instead of tubular and it is also longer for better tail stability.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.