If it were up to you would you have MAAC or Private Insurance for your club? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: MAAC or Private insurance
MAAC 78 71.56%
Private 31 28.44%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11
Re: If it were up to you would you have MAAC or Private Insurance for your club?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I voted for the change in MAAC eliminating or reducing the separation between fields, but what's with all this MAAC bashing? So far, every response is in favour of MAAC. I agree that MAAC may need to make some changes, and be more accessible to the modeling community, but trying to make them look foolish within this forum will probably not accomplish whatever your goal is.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21
Re: If it were up to you would you have MAAC or Private Insurance for your club?

Interesting those that are voting FOR MAAC are posting so here....

MAAC, like any organization has some politics but in general IMO has value to its members. With te UAV debates going on we need representation on a larger scale. I was at a company in the US last week that makes and sells UAV's and they are not happy that they are so heavily regulated and modelers are perceived to be enjoying a lot of freedoms. Without organizations like MAAC and AMA modeling as we enjoy it today would likely be very different.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
Futaba MZ, Futaba SZ

Total Props: 14

Thank you for keeping it clean and honest, lets keep it that way or I will have to request the thread be deleted

I did not vote in this poll since it was my poll BUT I most certainly know that if it was not for a wings program ( A MAAC initiative ) I would have not learned to fly, I would have never been in any competition, I would not have attended so many fun fly's and to top it all off I would have never been able to join local clubs with such ease any time I moved.
itizme is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Donovan R

Total Props: 0

Morning All

Our club has both MAAC and private insurance.

don dow

Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

The amount money I spend on this hobby each year the cost of joining MAAC is a very small fraction of that. In joining MAAC I support a multitude of items. Some of them will have a direct effect on me and some do not. MAAC is constantly Watching for any activity that could have an effect or restrict our activity. Radio Control is not the only activity that MAAC supports. Many of the old activities are still going on. We have one person in our area that actively participates in control line stunt. Thanks to MAAC if I decide to take up one of these activities I can. You can get cheaper insurance, but at what cost?

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mike H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7s
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

I think it's a fair question. Ideally, MAAC is the way to go. However, with all the shenanigans going on in my zone this summer I have to wonder if the interests of all members are being served? And the fact that this question is being asked has to be worrisome to the powers that be in MAAC. To most, MAAC is insurance, nothing more. The rate of participation in competitive events and so forth is quite low so that weight this is given in the argument for or against is somewhat disproportionate.

Some people just want to fly their planes in peace and have fun while doing it. In my time in this hobby I can't say that MAAC has added much to my enjoyment of the hobby. It's just the price of admission. This isn't an indictment of the organization. Just my experience. I'm willing to concede that I haven't sought out many opportunities to enjoy the benefits of my membership in this organization, but they haven't been too proactive in telling me how I can access them either.
thehaze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5

I guess I would vote for MAAC (I didn't actually vote) because I used to compete a bit more than I do now. I have to say though I sure wasn't happy when the dues went from $45 to $75 or so in one year, and then there was all the insurance clawbacks from the last few years with still the same dues. Some are back though.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

With MAAC's insurance program, clubs don't have to monitor everyone's insurance coverage to ensure that they are actually covered.

One of the ongoing scams in the insurance field (not the insurance companies doing the scam, but consumers) -- someone pays for auto insurance, gets the paperwork (the certificate that says that they are covered), then cancels the policy while keeping the certificate. Which is why there is a program being started that provides a resource to police and others as to whether a particular coverage is still active.

For "MAAC-like" coverage by a private company, clubs would alwsys have to check to make sure that 1) the coverage is still valid and 2) the holder of the certificate is covered.

That's why MAAC got into the insurance program in the first place. If you're carrying a valid MAAC card, you're covered.

Actually, if you have found an insurance provider that provides 100% of the MAAC coverage (universal and applies worldwide without restrictions), why not take it to the insurance advisory committee.

There have been dozens of similar threads like this on RCC over the years but none have ever been able to survive the litmus tests of being at least 100% of what MAAC's insurer provides and is actually cheaper. Most of them either slice off major portions of the MAAC membership or want to charge different premiums for specific activities or limit the area of coverage (requiring additional premiums for international coverage).
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Originally Posted by itizme View Post
Quite simple, a club of a hundred members, $1000-$1500 for insurance per year split amungst you and nobody has to join MAAC

Join MAAC at just under a hundred a year plus your membership

Poll expires in 60 days

I see the number of posts you have . I have the feeling that you don,t beleive in MAAC . Question : how many years do you have in modeling to ask such a question . Have you ever played golf ? Or even go to a middle class resteraunt ? take someone out to the movies , beside youre self .

For $75 , I can fly at any club and be insured , in north america .

I,m sorry ,.................... I think youre question is penny pinching .

Before you knock down MAAC ,............................at least have the decency to find out what MAAC is all about . I can assure you ,............. it,s more than insurrance .

Sure would like to know how old you are ,...................... It might have it,s own answer

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 14

Hi Michel,

Please understand that this pole is the culmination of a lot of frustration with our ZD, who is a board member of MAAC. If you knew of everything that we are going through in Zone L you would be frustrated too and would be tempted to post such a thread. This isn't about the money, it's all about the ZD. Some of the clubs here have looked into private club insurance in order to rid ourselves of the ZD.

Keswick Model Aircraft Club Inc.
visit: keswickmac.ca
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.