Scale Short Kits - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Scale Short Kits

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
When I was first asked about providing short kits to RC Canada members, I asked an RC Canada moderator about the legality of doing so. I was told that my provision of kits at near cost was acceptable, without requiring paying for an authorized vendor status. However, a review has decided that I am technically in violation of RC Canada Rules. Given that I have little profit margin, i.e. cutting 4 short kits and selling essentially covers the cost of one short kit for myself, I cannot justify paying for vendor status, and having to probably at least double the cost to members for the kits. It is far more economical for me to cease with all short kits, and also respect the rules of this site. While I regret this ruling, I still greatly enjoy the discussions, so will abide by RC Canada's ruling. I'll endeavor to send this message personally as well, individually to everyone who's expressed an interest in kits. I hope people will continue to explore building scale aircraft from plans, it's very challenging to be sure, but well worth the effort!
Dave Rowe
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
John M.
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Re: Scale Short Kits

But I got your addy on file Dave ..............................
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9

Hmm, that's unfortunate.
Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Thumbs down Re: Scale Short Kits

SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 9

Really unfortunate.
Perhaps there could be some modifications made to seller fee's in a case like this that would allow you to continue without draining the bank account.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Don M

Total Props: 3

Couldn't people just email you privately for the kits?

You could make a kit for yourself with 'lots of spare parts'

goneflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Sukhoi 68
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Scott Crosby
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C 2.4
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Thumbs down Re: Scale Short Kits

I think this is one case where the rules are wrong. Dave is/was providing a great service to the members here on RCC. I personally have bought a kit from Dave and it was actually cheaper than originally quoted when it was time to pay up. Not to hold back here, but I would prefer you (RCC) pick on the people that are REALLY taking advantage of your members. Dave, I hope that one day RCC comes back to you with their tail between their legs.

33%B-USA Fokker DVII/DLE85, 33% Deitchman Fokker EII/DLE111, 33% Weiss Fokker DR1/3W75, 33% B-USA Fokker Dr1/3W75 25% Cleveland Gotha G.V
MAAC# 23964 IMAC#5291, Fort Saskatchewan R/C Flyers Club, ERCS
MAAC Scale Committee
MAAC AZD Alberta
NWSAM Alberta Rep.

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Charles

Total Props: 4
Unhappy Re: Scale Short Kits

I second that one Scott, Dave is not making much money on these kits & I have got a couple from him & can attest to that.
Charles L
MAAC #19504
"Take Off Eh!"
Redbaron is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4

Private enterprise can still be carried on privately; use e-mail instead of this open forum and no one will be "offended"
I agree with the previous posters, this activity was not a commercial enterprise or a large scale operation (pun intended)
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
"Do or do not...there is no try"
roscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Thanks all for the support! I do see their (RCC) point, rules are rules, and it's their forum, they make the rules. I do agree that there are people on here that I'm certain are running a full scale business, and selling without being vendors, or they have some huge hoards of RC stuff!! The whole intent of this enterprise, was a cost sharing, so that we could all get giant scale kits at a reasonable price, and then be able to share on here the building of the aircraft, and pool knowledge and resources to help one another. The Ziroli P-38 short kits for example, sell normally in the $400 range for a laser cut short kit. I can't justify that, nor can a lot of people, and that's just the short kit! I sold them at $100. That had to cover the plywood (fairly inexpensive thankfully) the balsa (the most expensive part of doing the kits!), all my shop materials, bandsaw blades, scrollsaw blades, sandpaper, electricity, etc. I could never, ever make any money doing this, and that was never the point. If someone sold reasonably priced kits, I'd buy them. I have all the Top Flite kits, some Balsa USA, even some old Pica kits. But spending a grand say, on a Mick Reeves Hurricane, was totally out of my price range. By doing the short kits of the VA Hurricane, I essentially got my short kit free, scrounged a good used Zenaoh 26 for $100, scratchbuilding the canopy, cowl, radiators, etc, and with those savings, can afford the huge $$ for the retracts.

RC Canada reacted on a complaint from a buyer claiming he's paid, but not recevied his kit. While I have 100% proof of delivery, and no payment for a month now, they have to investigate, and can't be taking sides until they get all the facts. I'm assuming he also complained that I wasn't an authorized vendor, so they gave notice. I've mentioned back to RC Canada that I had sought, and was given approval for this, but for now, their initial decision was to issue a warning, and insist I cease advertising. I do hope they change their minds, but I must abide by their rulings in the meantime. This is a great forum for builders to connect, share ideas, questions, not to mention searching for hard to find kits, engines, etc, so I'm not going anywhere, and have to play by their rules. If anyone wishes more information, feel free to PM with your questions/thoughts, and I'll reply, don't want any mudslinging on an open forum! Thanks again for your support, and hopefully we can find a way ahead.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.