My first RC car? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Alex K

Total Props: 0
My first RC car?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey, I'm new to the RC community and I really want to get an RC car. Don't know much about RC, but what I definitely want is that it HAS to be nitro I think it just feels awesome to tune it and that its related to the internals of a real car (I do have experience tuning a real car). I also own a 20 year old Traxxas Nitro Hawk which my dad owns and it still runs perfectly. Secondly, its gotta be a monster truck! Really like what I've seen in bashing videos and the fact that I can ride it anywhere! When I do get into RC I may buy a buggy. So ya really need your expertise help on choosing my first RC car. Most people say to buy a cheap beginners car to start off but I don't really like that kind of idea. I was thinking of buying the HPI Savage X 4.6 but other suggestions would be great. Sorry for the long thread but thanks
akim is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3
Re: My first RC car?

The Savage X4.6 is a good MT to purchase. I started on a Savage X and still have and run it!

Good luck and have fun...

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance...
All for One, One for All...

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
RCC Noob
I am: Kai M
Radio of choice:
Flysky GT3b
# of RCs: 5

If you really think you're going to get into it I would suggest buying a used mid-range car (or a new one I guess if you've got the bank but the way I see it if you take that money for a new car and buy used you can get an even better car), I find the low end cars people out grow them too quickly if they want to really get into the tuning aspects also a mid range car will hold its value better than a entry model. Look for a car with a good amount of upgrade options; while you don't have to start throwing them on right away its nice to know that you can keep changing up your car and not get bored with it (boredom is in my opinion is one of the biggest reasons people leave this hobby). One thing to mention is that tuning rc cars is NOT the same as tuning real cars, some of the concepts may be the same but your adjustments will have slightly different effects on a foot long 10lb RC vs a real 9 foot long 2000lb car.
f1o2t2o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
RCC Noob
I am: Alex K

Thanks for the opinion guys! I think I'm going to go with what the person above me said. I do think continuously tuning the car is going to be fun! Thanks!
akim is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Depending on your budget you can also consider a gas 1/5. They are easier to tune and not as finicky about elevation and temperature.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.