Savage X 4.6 Build? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Alex K

Total Props: 0
Savage X 4.6 Build?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys got my Savage X 4.6 and I was wondering if there are any parts I should replace right out of the box and which parts are highly recommended later on. Right now I'm thinking of getting a skid plate to prevent dust from getting in and replacing the shocks and suspension arms to aluminum ones. I'm completely satisfied with the engine. Will be getting a better radio and also want different tires any suggestions?
akim is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
RCC Noob
I am: Matt P.

Total Props: 0
Re: Savage X 4.6 Build?

Right out of the box I would suggest the following:

-get higher quality servo's as the stock servos won't last long, mine lasted 6 tanks. I'm running the Savox 1258tg for throttle and the Savox 1283 for steering but any higher quality servo from Hitec/Savox will do fine.

- either buy a 6V hump pack or make your own with 5 rechargeable AA batteries.

- do the OFNA throttle/brake mod as you'll notice the factory setup for the brakes suck.

- shim your diff's. There are articles on Savage-Central on how to do this.

- take out all the screws that go into metal parts(8-10 screws i think) and apply blue loc-tite, otherwise you'll lose those screws eventually.

- buy a decent glow ignitor (the stock RTR kit one sucks)

- seal up your engine. There is an article on Savage-Central.

I wouldn't replace the shocks, the big bores are pretty decent once you switch to a higher quality oil. And forget about changing to aluminum suspension arms unless you're just building a "show" truck.. if you're going to be bashing the Savy then you'll want to keep the stock plastic(cheap to replace) or get RPM suspension arms (very durable).. the aluminum suspension arms will just get bent or even break.

If you're going to be replacing the tires with larger ones then i would suggest changing the servo saver spring to the HPI HD servo saver spring, and also adding the steering upgrade bearings. Or better yet replace the servo saver with one from Golden Horizons. Keep in mind that the larger tires are going to be heavier and will require gearing changes if you want to keep the low end power you currently have.

If you're going to keep using the roto-start then i would suggest keeping a stock of one way bearings(OWB) on hand as they will keep breaking or slipping (i broke 2 in one week). The best solution i've found is switching to a pull start. Once you have the engine tuned properly it should start in 1 pull.

For an aftermarket radio, I use the Futaba 4PL.. a lot of people suggest the Skyfly.. but it looks and feels too "cheap" for me.

If you haven't added the sway bar kit yet (or don't plan on it) then I would take some zipties and wrap then around the 2 bumper arms(both front and back) that hold in the silver pins. Otherwise the pins will eventually come loose and fall out after some hard hits.

If you are going to do a lot of bashing with the Savy then i would suggest keeping a few spare parts on hand as they will get bent or break.
Parts i have on hand:
- spare shocks (complete set)
- screw set
- dogbones (axles)
- air filter (mine has fallen off after a hard landing)
- fuel tank (it will get punctured if you land directly on the back end of the truck)
- OWB (one way bearing) these tend to crack or slip when using the roto-start.

Other parts i've upgraded:
- Robinson Racing Hardened clutch bell and Gen# slipper unit
- HPI chrome tuned pipe (just for looks and sound, no performance gain)
- Golden Horizons Servo Saver
- Golden Horizons Aluminum servo horns
- Golden Horizons Throttle Mixer
- HPI Heavy Duty Dogbones
- HPI Goliath tires

The Savage is one tough truck from factory, but even tougher when the right upgrades are done. The only part i bend on a constant basis right now is the dogbones from landing wrong (i'm trying to get the double backflip perfect). If you're looking for a good resource for the Savy check out Savage-Central. There's a lot of well informed people over there willing to help out.
Denialator03 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.