After Run Oil? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Alex K

Total Props: 0
After Run Oil?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is after run oil? How often do I have to apply it? Thanks for the help!
akim is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1
Re: After Run Oil?

Originally Posted by akim View Post
What is after run oil? How often do I have to apply it? Thanks for the help!
Don't trouble yourself ... (here is where I will get flamed, as this is another semi-religious topic!)

For the past 25+ years I have owned and operated many 2- and 4-stroke engines from .15 through 1.20 and from several manufacturers. I am a year-round, very active flyer.

I have never used after-run oil. The theory regarding such stuff is that you need to coat the internals of your engine when you quit flying for the day, to prevent internal corrosion.
This idea goes back many decades (a century perhaps?).

Modern glow fuels have a corrosion inhibitor of some sort in them. Your engine's internals get well coated during operation with whatever is in the fuel mix.

For engines with bearings, the front bearing is the most vulnerable to build-up of crud, including degraded oil and any associated acidic components. My aircraft get stored either horizontally, or hanging by the prop - depending upon what is a convenient location. NEVER hanging nose-down! Hanging nose-down is, in my opinion, asking for problems; whatever may be residing in the crankcase is going to end up drowning the front bearing, rather than leaving it coated with a film of oil. As

I also happen to have 25 years of exclusively using so-called "synthetic" oil fuel, which is arguably superior in coating the surfaces and does not crud up. If you doubt the latter assertion, try taking apart an engine that has used castor oil and has been left around for a few months/years, regardless of use of after-run oil. I happen to use 15% nitro content, regular Cool Power or Wildcat 2-stroke fuel on everything, that includes my 4-strokers.

The only time I use some kind of oil directly is when I remove an engine for an uncertain longer term storage. Then, I squirt some auto transmission fluid, or 3-in-1 oil or (since I have some readily available) some Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil. Not too much, just enough to ensure that the carb is oily and some may have gotten into the top of the cylinder. I put the engine into a ziploc bag and throw it into a big box with the rest of them.

More than once, I have taken a plane out of storage that had simply been hung up after its last flight 1, 2 or 3 years ago with nothing done to it. I charged up, or replaced, the flight pack and fired it up - sometimes on the first or second flip. There is often some crap that comes out the exhaust for a few seconds and then it runs clean.

I have only ever replaced a bearing in ONE plane in all this time once - on a 4-stroke Saito that had always run a bit noisy. Qualifier: I have had to change one or both bearings sometimes when I acquired used engines. I have had a lot of used engines, many of which required some effort to free up from castor crud and sometimes requiring installation of new bearings in the process.

Funny thing - a couple of these pre-owned engines that were in the worst shape of all, were originally owned by a fellow who was almost fanatical in his belief that you must have castor oil in your fuel. We used to have some fun discussions on the topic. He always kept his little squirter of (Marvel Mystery Oil - it was great for the 1930's barnstormers, so it has to be good, right?) at the ready for application after each flight!

Sorry abut the long sermon. After-run oil? Don't trouble yourself. Make sure your battery is charged and your mechanicals are in good shape and go flying.
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jeff D.
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Re: After Run Oil?

I'll only use after-run oil if I won't be using the car for a few weeks or when I store it for winter.

Traxxas1/16 KB, Clod Buster, & HPI Sprint 2, Kyosho GT2(1/8 nitro)
2 syma Gyro 3.5 Channels heli.
dirtdriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.