OS 40FSR- Needle required - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: OS 40FSR- Needle required

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Check binding on the servo and throttle linkage. Other than that you are correct in that the screw to the back will control how much the throttle closes. Back it out slowly and you should be able to get it to shut. Do not adjust it any more as that pin also guides the throttle barrel.

In some cases if the LS needle is screwed in to far it well prevent the barrel from closing.

If I remember the LS needle is backed out till it is nearly even with the outside of the barrel, but that one gets tweaked second anyway. First the HS needle is set and I normally start at 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out from bottom. DO NOT get too aggressive when screwing it in as you can damage the needle or seat and affect how ornery it is to adjust. You will find this adjustment a good place to start on the remote needle, as well.

Once fired up and warmed a bit go wide open throttle and adjust the HS needle till it peaks, then open it up a couple of clicks. This should drop the RPM slightly, but helps ensure you do not go lean in flight. To help that check the mix wide open with someone holding the plane nose up. If the motor sags then you are either still too lean or you have a mechanical problem with the fuel system. Some examples are a loose or missing vent line running to the exhaust, an air leak in the fuel feed line or the tank height is incorrect. You want the centerline height of the tank to be even with the fuel inlet in the carb.

Once the HS needle is set slowly reduce throttle. Once below approx 3/4 the LS needle starts to take over and this is when you will need to be ready to adjust it with a small flat screwdriver. Unfortunately the remote needle installation does not help here except to say once set you will likely not need to touch it very often. In most cases the HS needle will be tweaked a click or two either way depending on environmental conditions. If it needs more than that you likely have something wrong, ie, the forementioned mechanical problems, a bad plug or contaminated or old fuel.

Once you have the idle relatively steady leave it there for at least 20-30 seconds, then there are two methods for testing the mixture fine tuning. One has you pinch the fuel line and see if the motor sags or speeds up before cutting out. Sagging means you are close while speeding up means you are too rich.

Personally I wait the recommended time then whack open the throttle. If the motor burps out a lot of smoke, staggers then pick up you are too rich. If it dies immediately then you are too lean. The amount of each behavior is determined by how off you are.

NOTE: The LS needle controls mixture up to approx 85% throttle, but you need to set the HS needle first as this has an effect over the entire range. If not set correctly you will find trying to get LS set extremely difficult. You may also find the motor a bit cranky until broken in.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
RCC Noob
I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: OS 40FSR- Needle required

Alot of good information here.....thx
the needles I obtained got the engine running but Neither I or a flying ace neighbor could get it to set properly...I.e. must be incorrect needle.
SO......I will await the remote needle and carb plug.
many thx.
Barrm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.